Calling all geniuses! Remote Access suggestions...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gdp057, Aug 14, 2007.

1. gdp057 macrumors newbie

Looking for a little advice here:

My mother wants to be able to access files on her office mac from her mac at home. What do you think the best/easiest way for her to do this is? She is really only concerned with being able to copy files to her home computer (e.g.ones she forgot to put on her thumb drive) not necessarily control the other machine or change settings.
    Side notes:
    - I'm not sure if the IP address on her office computer is dynamic or not.
    - If the mac at her office is asleep is there anyway she could still access it? (perhaps wake it up thru the ethernet connection?)

2. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Why not get .mac and use idisk for this? if both computers are macs she can access it in finder just like any other disk, including a thumb drive. She can just back any folders up to idisk that she saves files at home in,

3. gdp057 thread starter macrumors newbie

She's a graphic designer and has a ton of files she's working with. It's not practical for her to back them all up (which would still need to be done daily when she left work). What she needs is a way to remotely get to her files if she forgets to put them on her thumb, or external drive.

I was thinking remote desktop but it seems like there has to be an easier way.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

www.box.net with a good internet connection, she can use this sort of network storage. free of charge.