Calling All iMac Gamers!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sstevens, Jul 24, 2014.

1. sstevens macrumors member

Hello all!

I have a late Top End 2011 iMac.

I would get 100fps on counter-strike 1.6 through Bootcamp at the 60Hz refresh rate, no ghosting, or aliasing either. Then again, cs1.6 was a pretty simple game with not really high end graphics.

Now, I'm looking at getting back into the competitive scene (back when I used to play on my custom PC from 2005-2008) but I have a couple questions...

1. Is the 60Hz refresh rate concrete? Can I not optimize that to anything higher? (most guys on PC's are using 120-144Hz, but I know thats due to monitor + hardware).

2. Are there any tricky Bootcamp+Windows tools/apps that can help me override my AMD graphics drivers? Kinda like the old nVidia control panel for GPU's?

3. Could I hook up an external monitor?

^ *I totally forgot if the late 2011's have thunderbolt ports, if they do/dont is this possible (external monitor)?

My specs for the computer are:

CPU: Intel i7 3.4GHz
    Memory: 32GB DDR3
    Hard Drive: 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    Video Card: 2GB AMD Radeon 6970m
    Sound Card: Steelseries USB
    Headphones: Steelseries Siberia v2
    Monitor: 27" iMac
    Mouse: Steelseries Sensei
    Mousepad: Steelseries QcK+
    Keyboard: Steelseries 6G

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends on the game. You will be hard pressed to get 60fps in most modern (last 2 years) games in anything other than low settings. The desktop equivalent to your 6970M is probably an R7 260X. You will definitely need to turn down the resolution to get competitive frame rates.

The 60Hz rate is fixed to the monitor. You could hook up an external to get higher frame rates. The late 2011 are TBolt enabled so a DisplayPort display will work.

AMD Overdrive should come with the Catalyst Control Center.