Calling all IT people.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Nov 3, 2008.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

So here's the situation:

I got into the IT field a couple years ago, my company is comprised of my two bosses and myself (myself being their first employee). I've been with my company for 14 months now and I'm sad to report that I have not progressed as much as I have liked.

Thin hours (ranging from 4-15 on avg)
    Not much hands on learning

Because we do IT consulting, we are always going into our clients' sites having to know already what is wrong and fix it. Because I am a novice, my bosses can't give me projects that are higher tier until I've learned the material. And learning the material on my own trying to replicate client problems isn't something easily done.

So today, I had my 1 yr review and it's sad that they haven't ironed out how much of a raise they're going to give me. I was hoping for 401k and medical, but that won't happen.

They really want to help facilitate my learning this time around by having me shadow them more often. But 15 hours a week (some shadowing and some individual) isn't going to help my case much.

They offered to pay for these expensive MS real life courses, but they wanted my commitment for another year and I don't know if I can deal with so little hours for another year.

The simple answer would be to move on, but I wanted to ask those of you in IT, should I go into a corporate environment then move back to consulting? I find consulting to be wee difficult w/o having some corporate background.

What are the pros/cons of each? In consulting, I find learning to be one of the biggest hurdles since I am always on my own and can't really learn on the job since I don't get to do stuff that facilitates learning!

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

3. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I live in San Francisco and they are only paying double of minimum wage with my two years of experience.

Sure, the pay raise will eventually come, but even if it's $30/hr with 15 hours a week, that's still crap. With consulting, we can't be at our clients' for long since our rates are so damn high. My going rate is $90-$100/hr with theirs being ~$185.

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Not sure if this would help, but my company is looking for a full time IT person in San Francisco right now. I'm not doing the hiring but I can probably get some info for you. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hard to say.

Most do corporate/government work first, then consult.

This might be worth looking into.

As you know, certification courses are expensive. If they are willing to pay for the entire set that might be worth staying. See if you can get some Cisco courses as well.

Make this a training year! Then look at regular employment.

7. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya, it makes sense. Why would anyone start out consulting without first having experience lol.

The MCSE does take work and it could be worth more down the line and they're willing to invest that in me along with paying me to go do the training. But another year of 15-20 hrs per week is devastating to my finances. Not only can I not save any money, I am literally paycheck to paycheck.

8. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

All Do, you need to know the stuff before you start consulting. I would try to find a job doing the jobs you are consulting for.