Calling all MBP express 34 users!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

All,

I'm curious to see how all you use your express 34 slot in your MBP? Does anyone use it on a daily basis?

Habitus :apple:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

It's how i connect my external HDD with esata.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never used it, and based on the issues that people have with a esata express card, I probably will never use it

4. cube macrumors G5

The Sonnet Pro seems to be working well now.

But I want a card that is bootable, and that can be also used with Bootcamp, virtualization, just in case.

5. cube macrumors G5

Because of the above, I was thinking to get a FW400 card, to free up the FW800, increased compatibility and also have current on FW400.

But I think I'll wait a bit for a Mac-compatible USB 3.0+FW400 card.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I use it all the time to capture HD footage from my camera that records to express cards. A Sony xdcam EX-3 HD camera. It's 8 times faster than hooking my camera up with a USB cable. Life saver on location. I'm devastated that they removed it. The 17" is just too big to drag a long

7. RCube macrumors newbie

8. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I use mine daily for e-SATA access to an external HDD.
    It is a VERY touchy connection. I cannot move my laptop while connected or it will hard-lock my MBP and require a power button reboot.
    If I don't mess with it, it runs very fast and well. Honestly though, if there is any danger of losing important work, I would avoid the e-SATA express cards (at least on my 2006 17" MBP).

9. amorcito macrumors regular

What brand esata card do you have, anyone you care to recommend? Any issues? Thanks!

10. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I have a 3G modem that is express34. Used it as my main connection until about 2 months ago. Now have a nice, fast DSL connection!.

11. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is what I use it for. The ExpressCard modems were very reasonably priced so I bought one unlocked for about $30.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Multi card reader. Sits flush. Still don't know why they went backwards and just put a SD card in there.

13. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Used to use an eSATA card.

Worked perfectly apart from being a MASSIVE pain in the rear.

Have a Mac Pro now for all my storage needs so therefore its redundant.

Did get 80Mb/sec sustained with this setup tho:

1Tb --> eSATA --> MBP --> Gigabit --> Mac Pro --> Internal 1Tb.

Copied 500Gb in 100 Mins(ish) was very impressed!

14. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I recently installed the Filemate 48GB Express Card as my boot volume, on my Unibody 17" MBP. I love it. It's the perfect mate for my internal 500GB 5400rpm drive. Wonder why I never did this sooner.

15. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

7 in 1 card reader most of the time.

i used sd cards in lieu of usb drives to transfer files between my work pc and my personal laptop.

16. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Is there a reason why? I'm some what of a novice when it comes to transfer rates. Is SD faster?

Habitus :apple:

17. amorcito macrumors regular

Where did you purchase, and did it include an extended warranty? I would love to purchase for my MBP that's on its way, but I read on the forums of one using having to exchange after a few months via the manufacture. I want something to last awhile for that price.

Can anyone here, who has an express card, and uses estata, recommend a good manufacture/model for an esata card? Thanks!

18. waffles123 macrumors regular

When USB 3.0 does come out, will there be such a thing as a usb 3.0 card that one can put in the express card slot? Will it fit? Is that even possible?

Second, @Kelen, can you point me to a link of your multicard reader that you use? Thanks.

19. amorcito macrumors regular

Yes, Seagate makes one called the BlackArmor. It comes with a 500gb external drive, and a 3.0 express card. It's 179.99, and currently available for purchase.

20. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I am using the FileMate 48GB card and an APIOTEK eSATA 300. Both work flawlessly... I can even boot from the eSATA. No problems with flakiness.

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I use a FW800 card on my first-gen MBP (only has FW400 natively,) daily when I have everything connected and am using my MBP as my 'desktop'; plus a multi-card-reader when mobile. (I use a USB hub/card-reader/iPhone dock when operating in 'desktop' mode.)

The FW800 card uses the PCI Express connection, the multi-card-reader uses the USB connection.

22. amorcito macrumors regular

Do you only have MFG warranty on that ssd? Know of any online retailer with a warranty, replacement plan?

Also, what's your opinion on this one: http://www.apiotek.com/Global/Product/Add-on_Card/EC-0003D.htm.

23. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I bought it from Amazon, which was actually from Tiger Direct. The warranty is from WinTec for 1 year for parts and labor. Of course Tiger Direct has an extended plan for the item. So far no issues, just speed. :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505183&CatId=4218

24. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a