Calling all Photoshop Experts - Design a Watch Face!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by markol, May 22, 2015.

1. markol macrumors member

Thought this would be a fun topic to start. I definitely suck at Photoshop, but was wondering if there's any Photoshop experts out there that would be able to design some watch faces that they'd like to see on the watch in the future?

Let's see what ideas everyone has!

2. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Great idea. I'm no good at Photoshop, but for me it's more complications & layouts on the Modular face.

3. maconut macrumors member

No photoshop for me either, but I would like to see more tapered, elegant watch hands, and maybe at least one square face.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'd really like to dive in and mockup some more complex ones, but for my first attempt here is a really simple, clean look set in San Francisco Thin using a color to match the band with no colon. Stacked hours on top, minutes on the bottom. I could see myself using something like this during the day while at work, perhaps with a calendar complication at the bottom or the weather, and then switch to a more advanced one for the rest of the day or on weekends.

I wish the Apple Watch had a mode that where you raise your wrist, it shows you a cleaner view of the time, and if you tap on it then all the complications fade in or something.

Attached Files:

6. markol thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I really wished Apple would allow us to add as many complications as we wanted, as well as the placement of them, onto a face instead of restricting us to specific areas.

----------

and I agree, something a little more elegant would be nice. Wonder if anyone can create something for all of us to see! ;)

----------

that's actually a really good idea - having the complications only show up on when you want it to; otherwise they'd be hidden. I like the simple watch faces, but also like having my activity, weather, etc right on the screen when I want it - this would definitely solve that issue!

7. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

The other day I was playing with the modular watch face and thought it would be nice if it looked like this.

Attached Files:

• AW.jpg
      AW.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  8. mciarlo, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015

mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I'd love to see them offer more watch faces that feature less traditional timekeeping paradigms, and faces that optimize for answering the question, "Where am I in the hour?"

I did two quick mockups, one linear and one radial. I tried to do a quick demonstration of how the linear face could animate the hours. Once the minute reaches 60, the face would rotate - the new hour taking the place of the old, and the new hour fading in nicely.

Attached Files:

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Would love to have a go at some more analogue faces (especially a rectangular one), but only had a short amount of time. Since the Apple Watch is not constrained by a physical watch face, I'd love to see some more non-traditional faces which you could choose for a bit without being permanently tied to them. I'll probably have a go at a couple more over the weekend.

I always loved my maths teacher's binary watch and tried to emulate it here. There's also a text based one which could dynamically update, but I'm not really sure I like it that much. It's been done before, but I can safely say it looked a lot better in my head...

Also: please excuse the badly Potatoshopped face onto the watch, was too lazy to do it myself and the website I used wasn't great.

Attached Files:

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I've got a digital watch somewhere that displays the time in words like:

"a quarter past six"
    "eight o'clock"
    "five to seven"
    "half past three"

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Is it something like this?

[​IMG]

That was the intention, just my execution was somewhat lacking. May remake it at the weekend.

I quite like the binary one though.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

The watch was made by "Arnette", it just jumped into my head.

It literally was juts the text on the screen. Thought it was quirky. Would love something similar with a twist on the AW

13. ilovemyibook macrumors 6502

The text based one is the exact reason why Apple locked down the watch faces. The Apple Watch is still so new and the last thing the public needs when seeing the Apple Watch for the first time is a hideous face. The binary watch isn't much better.

14. cschmelz macrumors 6502

That is why the don't SHIP with those faces, but choice is important. I am actually missing my Pebble a little bit when it comes to watch faces... The lack of choice or a marketplace for faces is crazy!

Well, so is how slow 3rd party apps are. I love the watch but the implementation is really painful trying to say pull up just about ANY 3rd party app right now. Was in line to buy groceries and tried to use Stocard on watch for loyalty card, too slow.... Starbucks to pay with app, too slow.... Check weather quick with Dark Skies....ARGH, times out, might as well get out phone....

ARGH

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I agree that the text one doesn't look great - seemed a better idea in my head! - but I do hope they open up the face to developers at some point. I'd like the choice to download faces, and it's perfectly fine if you want to stick with Apple's faces.

16. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

17. loftiness macrumors member

loftiness

fun idea... here's my take:

inspired by these mechanical counters you find on old tape machines

Attached Files:

18. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Randizzledante

I actually really really like the idea of that text one. Maybe not executed perfectly there, but that has some cool potential.

19. markol thread starter macrumors member

That looks so awesome!

----------

I agree! maybe if we get a better execution it'll look better, but still awesome idea!

20. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

I would love to see a vacuum tube or a flip clock concept.

21. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I like this one a lot. I imagine the blue orb with a slow pulse to the seconds.

22. markol thread starter macrumors member

23. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This is a cool thread! Wish I could contribute something but I'm no designer…

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Warning: Explict photo below

I want something like this!!!

Attached Files: