** Calling All Samsung Spinpoint F1 Owners **

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Do you occasionally hear a higher then usual seek like noise/drone when sitting in silence? I've noticed this a few times today while sitting here in silence. It sounds a bit alarming, the drives run great and all, but I don't know. Sounds suspicious, you know?

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this before. Maybe I'm just not used to it. To describe it a bit better, it's louder then the normal seek noise and lasts longer. Maybe 2-3 seconds, BRRZZZZZZZZ, then it stops.

It may very well be normal, some kind of adjustment of the seek handle or what not - I'm not sure. It sounds like a vibration noise, but it's not.

2. eyecool macrumors regular

I heard what you're describing when I formatted mine. Since then, it's been whisper quiet. I actually can't hear it at all. The quiet hum of the fans drowns any noise except for the cpu crunching.

I haven't hammered it with data yet. I will this weekend and if anything's fishy will let you know.... So far, I'm just glad it wasn't DOA!

3. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both of mine were not DOA, they're lightening fast, and near silent in operation. The seeking noise (if one can call it that) is a bit annoying though, the one I'm describing. I'm a bit paranoid though. I don't want them to go bad soon or anything.

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine are doing it once every 20-30 minutes. Not sure if it's normal. They're still lightening fast and stable...

5. peejack macrumors 6502a

Oh Mr.PS come on, you are starting so many thread being ultra anal about is this slightly slow? i her this little noise, does my mac pro run 0.000000001 m/s slower that it should?

Just enjoy it for what you brought it for in the first place, whatever that is??:rolleyes:

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you bother to read the thread? :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with performance, or being ultra anal, it's running great, but I'm hearing a distracting and annoying noise from my hdd's that sounds suspicious. I was asking the community if anyone else had the same noise. It's gotten to the point where it's distracting me from my work because it happens every 20 minutes or so. It's louder then any normal noise I've ever heard from a hard disk.

I can't see why that would bother you, or anyone for that matter. When you blow $3,000 on a computer you expect it to run flawless. So far it is flawless, outside of the Samsung HDD noise/drone/buzz. I will admit to being paranoid at first, but my Mac Pro runs perfectly. I just want this noise to go away and I'm a happy camper. Sorry if my questions/concerns bother you.

7. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bump... I'm formatting them right now and RMA'ing them. I will see if the replacements also sound like this...

8. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Nope, I haven't heard it. I'm using a 500GB Samsung SpinSpoint F1 in my iMac G5 and it's been one of the best HDs I've ever used. Fast and definitely quiet.

Seagate, on the other hand...

9. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to be a big fan of Seagate, the barracudas back in the day were dead silent. The one that came in my Mac Pro is horrible. Noisy and has a motor drone. As for the Samsung's. I'm writing zero's to them right now, they're going back, I'm going to get identical replacements because I love these drives. There seems to be something wrong with them though.

10. Banacek macrumors 6502

I was having a lot of problems with the 750GB F1 I was using, but now that my Mac Pro died I'm not sure who was to blame.

11. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your new Mac Pro died? Sorry to hear, you've been waiting forever. My drives work, they just make a horrible noise that makes me cringe. I cannot accept that and am returning them for a replacement - if the problem persists, it's normal and I will live with it, if not, I have nothing to loose.

12. Code001 macrumors member

I don't hear a thing with my 750 gig F1. Then again, right next to me is a G4 MDD with 7 fans in it, which sounds like a shuttle (and it still gets 55ºC+ temps).

13. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

14. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Dude, that's normal. Come on now. They're probably running at what, 2.5-2.6 bels? Well you never hear it if there's any ambiance noise, but knock that out, and all of a sudden yeah, you hear it.

Sometimes they hit heavier seeks than normal. That's- normal. Think about it... maybe your drive's heavily fragmented already... it can happen, especially if you're using that drive as both a boot and a scratch with Photoshop etc. So maybe two parts of a file you're caching, or accessing, whichever, are fairly far apart on the platter and it has to have a longer head movement... or maybe it has a series of instances where it needs to make a full revolution before it can get the data it needs because of the head was just over the data right when it was issued a queue.

Calm down =\

15. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong, it's not normal. The noise is very loud and is in no way normal sounding. If it is normal, I will be happily getting rid of these for another brand, speed aside, I cannot be annoyed by such a noise. The drives are silent, 10x as silent as the stock 320GB Seagate in my Mac Pro - the noise is 100X louder then the stock 320GB Seagate. There is something wrong with the drives.

I returned them last week, waiting for my RMA to ship.

16. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I can't even hear my 750 GB F1 when the room is quite...they are basically silent to me even when I am in front of my MP for hours on end

17. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got my replacements, they're flawless. My other ones were borked for sure. The clicking is totally gone and they're silent!

Very fast too!

18. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

The only thing i noticed when i filled up my drive bays with drives and 1 750gb F1 was the fact that my hard drive bay fan seems to always run at 800rpm now :(

I would love it to drop back to 600 where i am sure it was before.

19. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

actually scrap my last fan speed drop request, I just did a few tests to see where the raise in noise was coming from and its not the fan, its the fact that all drives are on.
    Think I will tick the box to shut them down when not in use :)

20. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Oh hm. My bad. Sounds like... you had a defective drive. Just as I suspected :D

21. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep for sure, the new ones are dead silent. I've been listening to them for two days. The new ones are so silent I forgot the computer is even on.