Calling all SoCal members - the lookout for high-res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, Apr 13, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

So I called many Apple stores today in the OC area, most of them told me it was an online-only option, but one store told me they'd have them later in the week. Additionally, other people are confirming that high-res models ARE being sold in retail stores. I purchased my high-end 15" today at the brea mall, but may consider upgrading to the high-res IF a store in southern California is known to sell them. Can anyone who lives in the area confirm whether SoCal stores have them, as stock begins to grow over the next week or so?

2. irwinm macrumors member

Was told today at the Grove store this morning that they did not have them and would likely not get them for a while - but who knows if the guy knew anything - I just grabbed the i7 and said to heck with it. ;)

3. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

As far as I know, the only store that will be getting them in is the Mission Viejo store, but only with antiglare. Every other store in the Orange/Santa Ana radius said no. Wouldn't trust them, though, the salespeople generally know nothing.

4. pyroza macrumors regular

Thinking about going down to the Manhattan Beach Apple store to see what they have.

5. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

I called the Irvine and Mission Viejo stores. They said they'd have the new MBPs only display by weekend at latest, but could not say when or if they the high-res 15" would be on display.

6. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Is anyone able to post a side-by-side comparison of the 1440x900 and 1680x1050 15" screens? Or is there an image of this online somewhere already? I googled and couldn't find it. Thanks.

7. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I don't think anyone has a high res screen yet except maybe press.

Looks like online it says 2-4 day shipping, and stock models within 24 hours.

I hope by tomorrow retailers have them in, itching to get an antiglare (and high res) model.

8. matteconcepts3d macrumors newbie

pasadena -

I picked up my 13" at the Pasadena store on Colorado Blvd...

They had plenty, but hadn't put them out on display yet... :)

Cheers,

Matt

www.matt-conway.com

9. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah, we all saw your other thread. But we're talking about the high-res option on the 15" MBP here.

10. matteconcepts3d macrumors newbie

Ah, not sure about that one...

11. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Damn I wish I could just see the high-res in action or some kind of comparison to at least know whether or not I want it. I'm thinking 1680 is probably going to strain my eyes too much but then again it's all about future-proofing as much as possible and getting the most out of my money. ****...what to do

12. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

I'm hesitant to order the high res screen on the 15" too until I can see it in person first. Hopefully some of the Apple stores will have them in stock tomorrow, atleast on display, if not to order. I plan on calling South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island and the Irvine Spectrum at some point tomorrow.

I'll post back if I hear of anything...

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Let me know if you find one because I want the high resolution display as well, but I do want the anti-glare. BUT since I also want the 7200RPM HD, I might just order it online. BUT then again, save the $50 and put it toward a 1TB drive for the monster.

14. kanketsu macrumors member

I was wondering, is the upgrade compatible with older unibody 15' MBP? Say, I drop in my older MBP at the Apple Store and have the display switched for $100-$150 - does such an option exist?

15. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

In looking for comparison images, I found this thread from almost three years ago. :p I guess 1440x900 was decent back then, but now, with the option to go to 1680x1050 for only $100 more, I'm leaning towards going that route... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342827

16. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

The high-res 15.4" at 1680 x 1050 is 128.65 PPI
    The 17" at 1920 x 1200 is 133.19 PPI

If you're OK with the size of text and graphics on the 17" then you'll be fine with the high-res 15.4" because it will have slightly larger text and graphics.

17. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It amazes me, though, how uncoordinated Apple is in terms of its retail stores. No one really knows anything, apparently, and the stores are basically oblivious of each others' existence. They're all like separate companies. I'm sure this is upper management's fault; it must be hard on the employees too I imagine. Hopefully within the next few days we'll know more.

18. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I use a 15" Hackintosh with a 1920x1200 display, and I think it's great. And it's not like I have that great of eyes... I'm sure the 15" with 1680x1050 will be fine.