Calling all tech's. Boot Problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rueffy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. rueffy macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am in need of a little help please for one or all of you guru's. This is a problem I have been trying to resolve myself for about a month now, I don't want to take my computer into the shop because it has sensitive information on it. I would really appreciate any information or advice as I think I have covered all bases.

Hardware - iMac G4

Problem: When turning on my iMac it chimes, goes to the grey/white screen with the apple symbol, about 5 - 10 seconds later the gear starts turning, it then hangs in this state for about 2 minutes with gear turning before turning off and starting all over again.

Suspected Problem: I have had similar problems before when using Target Disk mode to boot into a different partition as I am running a Windows partition seperatly, however by holding the keyboard Command or Option key I have been able to regain control and boot back into the Mac Partition which works fine. Therefore I suspect this is some kind of hard-disk failure.

Attempted Resolutions
    I have tried all the command prompts I could find using the keyboard, i.e the PRAM reset, CD Boot, Target Disk Mode using external laptop etc. I think I tried at least 7 or 8 different key combinations with no success, it doesn't even acknowledge that I have given it any input.

The only thing that it did respond to was when I held down the mouse button it ejected the CD, other than that no input at all can be made.

I've tried plugging the keyboard into another computer to test it, it worked fine with full control as per normal.

I opened up the cover and had a look inside, couldn't see any abnormalities, I removed the battery for 10 minutes and re-installed it jut for good measure, as I remembered when I had a PC it used to reset a few things. I also vacuumed out any dust in the USB ports.

Any help appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then on the "Go advanced" button.

Example: I can't get my G4 iMac to boot, despite whatever I try or something similar.

You could replace/remove the HDD before going to the repair shop.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=imac+g4+replace+hard+drive&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS: Apostrophes are not used with building plurals: techs not tech's.

3. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Check the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive using Disk Utility. If it says anything other than "Verified" your drive is failing.
    You could also make sure your OS X drive is the default boot volume under System Preferences->Startup Disk

Hope any of this helps!

4. rueffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, however I can't access Disk Utility or System Preferences. I can't boot at all in any partition.

5. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

you could boot into Single User Mode (hold command and s on startup) and type /sbin/fsck -fy
    this will verify if your drive is ok (and might fix some broken things)
    if fsck says your disk is OK type reboot

6. rueffy thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the Cmd+S prompt with once again no response.

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I would take out the hard drive and hook it out to another computer, clone it then put it back and just reinstall the OS. But thats me.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I tried the Cmd+S prompt with once again no response"

Try this:
    1. Power down, all the way.
    2. Press the power button
    3. IMMEDIATELY hold down the "option" key, and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    4. You will eventually see the "startup manager" screen
    5. Select the volume you wish to boot from by clicking it ONE time with the mouse, then hit the return key
    6. Does it boot any better?

9. rueffy thread starter macrumors newbie

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you have another keyboard you can try? It's possible that the problem is just that the keyboard isn't registering your key combinations.

Also, if you have an Apple Remote, try holding the Menu button as you start up the computer. That should trigger the boot menu if your keyboard isn't working.

11. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Startup Issues

So

When u turn on my iMac it chimes, goes to the grey/white screen with the apple symbol, about 5 - 10 seconds later the gear starts turning, it then hangs in this state for about 2 minutes with gear turning before turning off and starting all over again.

Since u have tried all steps , Try safe boot if it doesn't next step would be boot into disc and try Disk utility , if that doesn't work perform Archive and Install with Preserving ...

12. rueffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,

Thanks for everyone help so far, unfortunatly I couldn't get anywhere no control what so ever, so I purchased a replacement internal hard-drive and now it works fine. However a couple of new issues have arisen that I require more help with.

Before the great crash I had an external hard-drive which was storing a lot of backed up files etc, now when I try and open the Volume I get the error message "The Folder "volumename" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges". I've tried a few sudo commands in Terminal but it hasn't done anything, tried changing the permissions in the Info Page but they are all set to Custom and I can't alter them.

Secondly now that I have my system up and running and a spare hard-drive with all my important files next to it, is there anyway I can repair the permissions with it out of my hard-drive, i.e is there some kind of cable of something to get it talking with my now functional computer (long shot I know).

Appreciate any help with these new problems, thanks.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Didn't you just ask the same question twice?

If it's NTFS, you'll need to (re)install third-party drivers to use the drive. If it's HFS+, try running

sudo chown -R yourname:yourname /Volumes/yourdrive
    sudo chmod 777 /Volumes/yourdrive

If that doesn't help, you can find a ton of other suggestions in this thread.

14. suntzurules macrumors newbie

mac g5 won't start can't get to disk utility

I've tried re-booting it but it says to restart again and that doesn't work. It says something like kernal error : we're hanging on here (something like that!) please help, or do you know someone who can ? ?

REALLY HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

Thanks suntzu