Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Thank you all to those whom posted their SMC dumps.

I've confirmed the following facts:

1) Every single MacPro5,1 ever sold on the planet is affected by this bug. There is no difference between the systems, nor have there been any minor hardware modifications to the logic board or CPU daughter card. This is a fundamental issue caused by the SMC firmware only.

2) Apple gives special treatment in the SMC firmware to the AMD 4870 and NVIDIA 880GT, possibly the 5870 as well (but not the 5770). It essentially "assumes" these cards have their own fans and ignores their power consumption through the PCI-e slots.

3) For all other PCI-e cards, Apple uses the power consumption of each PCI-e slot (plus the auxiliary cables for slot 1) to calculate the relevant fan speeds. The thermal readings from the system ARE taken into consideration but this DOES NOT determine the calculated min/max speed of the fan (only what speed the fan runs at between these values).

The reason why some people appear to be affected by this more then others appears to have to do with how much power the system is consuming (and whether or not you've got the Apple RAID card installed, or dual CPUs, how much RAM you've got, how many disk drives and what those drives are, etc etc). I can find absolutely no evidence anywhere that this is a hardware problem caused by physical differences between the computers.

TLDR; Apple's SMC firmware is faulty. Their assumptions about the fan speeds are incorrect because the eVGA 680 GTX (and others) initialize into a low power state right off the bat, which throws off the initial SMC fan speed calculations.

There appear to be two solutions to this problem:

1) Get Apple to fix their SMC firmware (how, I'm not entirely sure- they could easily assume that ALL cards with the AMD or NVIDIA PCI-e VID are graphics cards, and therefore have their own fans- or they could fix whatever it is that actually determines the fan speed incorrectly)

2) Get eVGA to release a firmware that puts the card into a high power consumption mode until the host drivers initialize

#1 would obviously be preferential, but I believe that if the GPU were drawing more (or close to max) current during bootup, the SMC would correctly calculate the fan speeds based on the maximum current drawable by the GPU, and this would likely solve the problem. Of course this would mean that the GPU fan would need to throttle up to 100% during boot up, but since the 5870 Radeon (from Apple) does the same thing I doubt anyone would care.

Either way, it looks like we're hosed for now. I'd try and fix the issue myself, but the MacPro5,1 and 4,1 both use a split primary/secondary SMC setup (one chip on the logic board, one on the CPU card). To my knowledge, Apple has never released a flashing application capable of programming both SMC chips as the only EFI utility we have (SMCFlasher.efi, also known as "smcutil") was designed for the single SMC systems (namely the MacPro1,1, 2,1, and 3,1).

-SC

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Thank you all to those whom posted their SMC dumps.

Great work, man. It's as I had originally suspected -- everyone is affected by this. The rest of your findings make sense though; additional components would explain why some people have this more drastically than others. I for instance use all of my PCIe slots and have dual CPUs.

Fortunately, the "solution" isn't all that bad. Just fire up something graphically intensive on start up. For me, I just load the Battle.net app (don't even have to launch a game) and the graphics ramp up and down.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
I'm not sure what happened, but now I get no RPM reading at all. I had tried putting my graphics card in slot #3 and saw an iStat reading of 0 (even though the card is running). So I moved it back to slot #2 and the 0 reading persists. Not sure what is going in. Last time my machine was on, it was running at 1,000 in slot 2 and 800 in slot #1. Weird stuff.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
1. Thanks for doing this.

2. I'm a bit late. Is there any reason for me to do an SMC dump too, or is it pointless now?

The reason why some people appear to be affected by this more then others appears to have to do with how much power the system is consuming (and whether or not you've got the Apple RAID card installed, or dual CPUs, how much RAM you've got, how many disk drives and what those drives are, etc etc).

3. More power used = less fan problems, or less power used = less fan problems?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Probably not.

What I wanted to check was to make sure that there wasn't some kind of internal difference in the SMC versions or the hardware of the computer. I don't think there is (99.9% chance there isn't). Therefore, as I originally stated, all Mac Pros are the same- it's an issue of the machine configuration versus how the card boots up in a low power mode (which in turn causes the errant behaviour we're seeing from the SMC).

So no, I've seen what I wanted to see. No point posting any more dumps- it won't solve anything. Either Apple or eVGA will have to fix this issue.

More power used == more chance of fan problems, basically.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.