Calling all Verizon iPhone users with 3G Network Extenders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Apr 19, 2011.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

As of about a week and a half ago, I became unable to send MMS messages from my Verizon iPhone 4 when at home with my 3G Network Extender. I ran a speed test (WiFi off of course) and saw that my download speeds were fine (900-1800 kbps) but my uploads went to crap (0-40 kbps). I remember when I first got my network extender about a month ago, I was getting 500-1000 kbps on the upload. So, the slow upload speeds on the network extender were the reason my MMS messages were just timing out and never going. I called Verizon about it and they did some diagnostics. Had me put the extender directly behind my modem bypassing the router, etc. They then told me to exchange the extender at my local Verizon store, so I did that. Same problem. They then told me to have a buddy come over with his phone (HTC Incredible) and run a speed test and try and send an MMS. He comes over (he's on my approved list for the extender) and he was getting upload speeds between 400 and 900 kbps, and was able to send 3 MMS picture messages in a row very quickly. So I report this back to Verizon so they suggest restoring my iPhone through iTunes, and setting it up as a new phone. I did this, same problem. I call Verizon again (I have the cell and work number of the guy assigned to my ticket) and I tell them this. He says all we can try now is swapping my iPhone for another at the Apple store. So I did this today. I bring it home and of course the three speed tests I run are 0, 8, and 1 kbps. It's also worth noting that the problem started happening before the 4.2.7 update last week. Also the replacement phone I got today came with 4.2.5 on it, and that had the problem too. So we've decided it has nothing to do with the version of the software running.

My Verizon guy is now thinking that it could be a problem with software on the network extenders not playing nicely with iPhone 4s. He also thinks that it could possibly be affecting all iPhone users with network extenders, they just may not be sending picture messages or may not be able to put 2 and 2 together.

So, this is a call to anyone with a Verizon iPhone and a 3G network extender. Please note, if you have one of the non 3G network extenders this doesn't apply to you.

If you have a Verizon iPhone and network extender, please post back on here what happens if you run a speed test (speedtest.net app from the App Store) with your WiFi turned off, under the coverage of your network extender.

Thanks and I appreciate anyone's help on this.

[​IMG]

2. paulcummings macrumors newbie

Here...

Me too, encountered the problem yesterday and spoke to various tech's via Verizon. This morning I unplugged the "Extender" and can now send MMS pics! Called Verizon and asked if they can correct the problem or is the "Network Extender" now just a paperweight? Tech told me an update will be available in June.... Thing is I bought the extender when i had the dried because of dropped calls at home. The iphone however seems to get much better reception (no dropped calls yet), so I may not need the extender now after all....

3. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Tonight the guy assigned to my ticket ran a trace on my network extender so he could see what was going on with the failed MMS and slow upload. I mentioned what you said and he said that's absolutely not true. They do not know what's going on right now, and there is not even an estimate for when it'll be resolved. He's going to get back to me when he figures out what the data he collected tonight means.