Calling from the friends wheel is watch-only?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sheza, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Hey,

So I was in a store the other day and needed to call someone about a product. My hands are full, I've got EarPods connected to my iPhone. I call the person via the 'friends wheel' (don't know the official name) on my watch and it calls.... via the watch. Isn't a smartwatch supposed to be smart enough to know to route the call through my iPhone and hence earpods, since I'm clearly in a position to make calls hands-free with it?

Just something that bugged me and I'm wondering if there is a way and I just don't know how?

2. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

But what if your phone is Inside your bag with your EarPods connected? Neither the phone, nor the watch can guess what's near to you.

But I know that problem. Maybe we will see an option an the watch on further releases. For a moment I thought about something like "volume up" to activate hands off, but you could hang up easily.

3. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

I guess what I'm looking for is an option, yeah.

Activate friend wheel
    Select friend
    Tap 'phone'
    If the watch knows the phone is connected to a hands-free capable kit, it will present the option

4. chabig macrumors 68040

If you were wearing EarPods already, you should have just used the inline remote to make the call directly from your phone. Press and hold the button until you get Siri, then ask her to call XX.

5. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

However, Siri is not always perfectly accurate.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

I've got no reply for that, so I'll just answer your original question. I don't think there is a way you can use the watch to initiate a call on the phone.

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Can't you send the call to the phone once it connects?

8. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

Can you? Never tried that

9. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

Yes, you can. It's called hands off and you can find at the bottom left corner of your lock screen and in the app switcher once you are connected.

10. PilotC150 macrumors member

That requires having the phone out. I had the same problem as the OP when I was running. I had music going through my Bluetooth headphones/microphone and used the watch to place a call. I didn't want to take my phone out of my running belt, but didn't think I'd have to. But when the call connected, I had to use the watch for the conversation because it didn't hand it off automatically to my phone.

I agree that it should have known that I had an appropriate device connected to the phone, so that's what should have been used for the phone call.