Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
How much did you use your phone today (light, moderate, heavy)?: Moderate
How much battery do you have left when checking stats: 19%
Time Since Last Full Charge (Usage): 7 hours 44 Minutes

This is a significant degrade in battery life ever since 8.1 update. Twitter seems to suggest the same. I don't know if it is also the same with iPhone 6 users.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

This is a significant degrade in battery life ever since 8.1 update. Twitter seems to suggest the same. I don't know if it is also the same with iPhone 6 users.

Give it a few days. Testing and judging battery on the same day of a software update (or even the day of opening a brand new phone) will give skewed results. It can take upwards of 3-5 days after opening a brand new phone or updating to a new operating system version before getting proper and consistent results.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Oh.

My.

God.

Not.

This.

Again.

Dude, it takes DAYS for an iPhone to settle down and finish all it's background stuff after an update. Leave it on the charge with wifi turned on every night. Get back to us next week and let us know how it is.

Until then, chill out.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Dude, it takes DAYS for an iPhone to settle down and finish all it's background stuff after an update.

That is nonsensical.
What, you think it's like Spotlight rebuilding the index in OSX? Ridiculous.

I've gone through hours of Asphalt Overdrive and still had 40% left over using 8.0. I've gone through 2 straight days of light browsing/twitter after 8.0.2 update. Today, after updating to 8.1 (fully charged) I barely made through the entire day of checking twitter.

Last edited:

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
That is nonsensical.
What, you think it's like Spotlight rebuilding the index in OSX? Ridiculous.

I've gone through hours of Asphalt Overdrive and still had 40% left over using 8.0. I've gone through 2 straight days of light browsing/twitter after 8.0.2 update. Today, after updating to 8.1 (fully charged) I barely made through the entire day of checking twitter.

It's pushing a lot of stuff to and from iCloud and people with slow WiFi connections it takes forever. Also, if you didn't update with your phone fully charged, and on the charger, your battery meter will not be accurate until several charge/discharge cycles.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
It's pushing a lot of stuff to and from iCloud and people with slow WiFi connections it takes forever. Also, if you didn't update with your phone fully charged, and on the charger, your battery meter will not be accurate until several charge/discharge cycles.

i did update with my battery fully charged
there is nothing to push to iCloud, everything is already sync'ed. I don't have photostream on, the iCloud Library is off, no new changes in app data, i did an iCloud backup before i did 8.1.

there's nothing to suggest that things should be happening for "days" after an update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i did update with my battery fully charged
there is nothing to push to iCloud, everything is already sync'ed. I don't have photostream on, the iCloud Library is off, no new changes in app data, i did an iCloud backup before i did 8.1.

there's nothing to suggest that things should be happening for "days" after an update.
Give it a few days/charge cycles to average out how the battery usage goes and see what it's like for you then. If it's really something obvious that isn't going right then perhaps try restarting, resetting network settings, resetting all settings, or going all the way to reinstalling.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My battery is very good under 8.1 (upgrade from 8.1 Beta 2 OTA).

As you can see, my 6+ battery stay at 100% after 56 minutes of usage and 1hr 47m stand time.
IMG_0012.PNG

Anyway, I did some normal setup to save battery life. e.g. Airdrop OFF, reduce motion ON, etc. But most of the useful setting e.g. location service, LTE, iCloud, Notification... are all ON.

---Update 1---
I intentionally watch some online movies, remote control my computer by LTE, Wi-Fi speed test, etc. And now, my battery usage shows this.
IMG_0014.PNG

It definitely use more power than browsing the internet by Wi-Fi, but still not bad at all. Should be enough for 1 day use.

---Update 2---
More stat from my wife's 6+.
IMG_0889.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.