Calling it a phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pelaminoskep, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Pelaminoskep macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

So why are these multi-functional devices we call phones still called phones? The phone-bit of it really only makes up a small portion of the entire functionality...

There was a time we called such things PDA's, but that's just a lousy name. What would be a better name?

iPersonalMiniComputer?
    iMultiTool?
    iWorldInterface?
    iConnect?
    iP (they all start with a P right?)
    iPee (because we use it everywhere...)?

Suggestions? Or is it unthinkable to rethink this? ;)

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

No to all of those. iMultiTool?? Go back to bed. :eek:

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah but it's still a phone. Just a phone that does more.

That's like wanting to call modern cars something different, because they have CD/MP3 players, GPS, and loads of other features that a car from the '60s wouldn't have. It's still a car. Just a car that does more.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Agreed with @keysofanxiety. If these multifunctional devices didn't come with the ability to make calls, most of us wouldn't purchase them. Otherwise, iPod touches would account for more and iPhones for less than 2% and 56% of Apple's profit (even when you consider the large margins on the latter). You buy a smartphone because it's a phone.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

So what I think you're saying is ... you're considering uploading a Photoshop edit of crazy gadgets on an iPhone, so it's almost resembling a tech version of a Swiss-army knife - just so the ridiculous image would slightly brighten my day at work?

... :D

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I considered doing it for the article that mentioned Apple working with companies to make the iPad a better tool, but the thing is, REAL PRODUCTS actually exist for this very purpose! :eek:

[​IMG]

7. Pelaminoskep thread starter macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

I don't think that's a fair analogy, as a car is designed to drive first and all the other stuff are additions. To me with smartphones nowadays, it seems the other way round. They're multifunctional minicomputers, with an added phone function.

Very few people will just sit in a car to make use of its MP3 function. Many people will use their phones MP3 function, because their phone is also their MP3 player. So why not call it an MP3 player then? Because it does a lot more! Same logic applies to calling it a phone. Why call it just a phone? It does a lot more!

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

At what point is it a multifunctional device with an added phone function, or a phone with loads of added functions? Would you argue the first iPhone was a phone first with added features, as the original iPhone didn't do anything close to the newer models? If so, what point did it cut off? The iPhone 4? 3GS?

Or was the first iPhone a multifunctional minicomputer with phone capability, so it shouldn't have been called the iPhone?

I appreciate you're looking for an interesting discussion, however it seems a little pedantic.

9. Pelaminoskep thread starter macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

When? I'm not sure. My first real smartphone was a 3GS. This one was already way more than a phone. Maybe the original iPhone was too, I don't know.

If you feel this kind of discussion is too pedantic to you, well, you don't have to participate :)

I mean, we've stopped calling calculators calculators and call them computers now (although I admit it essentially means the same thing), same goes for typewriters. When we started adding functionality to radio's, CD players, DVD players etc we started calling them stereo sets, hifi sets, entertainment sets etc.

Names change with functionality change. I can still use stereo set to listen to the radio. I can still use my computer to do typewriter-like tasks and make calculations. I can still use my <INSERT NAME HERE> as a phone...

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

OK, so let's go with the Nokia smartphones of 2006.

What qualifies this as a phone:

[​IMG]

... and this as not a phone?

[​IMG]

Unless you make the distinction I'm not sure I'll understand your argument.

11. Pelaminoskep thread starter macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

I don't think there is a solid point at which we can say "this is a phone and this is not anymore". The world just does not work black and white like that. These devices have evolved to a point that we might start thinking "is this even a phone anymore?" Your question is: what point was that? My answer: I don't know. I don't think the answer to that question is really important and it distracts from my original question: what should we be calling it?

I am tempted to try to answer your question though.

I think that phones became something else at the moment they were better than other (dedicated) devices in what they could do.
    Let me explain.

-My phone is a better MP3 played than my iPod classic. Why? Because it can also stream music (Spotify, YouTube, etc), and I always have it with me.
    -My phone is a better photocamera than my old Canon. Not only is the picture quality better (it's an old 12MP consumer camera), it also has more storage space and I always have it with me.
    -My phone is a better videocamera than anything I've ever owned. I can store all video internally and have it uploaded automatically to my dropbox. Also the picture quality is better, I can do slomo, timelapse etc. Also, I always have it with me.
    -My phone is a better messaging device than any alternative, because I can reach more people all the time, because most people I know carry their phones on them, all the time.

So my phone replaced my need for any of these other devices. I used to own a video camera, a photo camera, an MP3 player, portable game consoles etc. Now I just have a phone. The moment my need for these other devices dissipated, it became something much more than a phone, for me. The point in time that this happens is probably different for everyone though.

Writing this I have to conclude that there is one feature that overrules all other features in importance: portability.
    If there would be a proper name, it had something to do with the mobility of these things.

Some very bad and obvious ones:
    iPortable
    iMobile

:)

12. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

At this point it's all about brand recognition and the fact that it started out as a phone then slowly evolved into the capabilities it currently has. I don't see a compelling reason to change it, some people actually use an iPhone for the phone capabilities more than anything else.

13. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

for what I use my iphone:

i use my ip6+ more of a computer than a phone or mp3 player.
    sure i use the telephone function, couple times a day, sometimes not at all. nowadays i don't yap on the phone but more of email and texting and social media to do communication. i don't use it as an mp3 player.

it's more of a mobile personal computer than a phone to me.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think the OP's question is an interesting one, though I don't know what the answer would be. Before too long, I think they will be our personal computers that we just attach (wirelessly?) to a large screen and input devices. Maybe once that happens the name begins to change?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It evolved from a what was just a phone and the name stuck around as the populace was used to it and associated and associates it with it, with the phone (and communication) still being the main fundamental feature.

16. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone