Calling Mac Pro owners, coil whine or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GearHeadG5, Dec 8, 2013.

1. GearHeadG5 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I bought a base 2009 quad core Mac Pro on Megamacs website on their black friday sale. I love everything about the mac, except that it emits a weird whine when running and even more so when turned off after having been run. It doesn't make the noise when first plugged in, or when it is sleeping. The frequency is probably a little lower than a dog whistle, so some people i've showed it to can hear it and some can't.

I have done a lot of testing i.e taking out sticks of RAM, removing video card, HD, etc, and have found that it seems to be the PSU or GPU.

My question: Should I try to get a replacement or is it something that is normal with 2009 Mac Pros?

2. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

If it's a coil whine, it's almost definitely the PSU. It's an easy test to just take out the GPU.

I don't have any sort of whine with mine, so I think it comes down to whether or not you can live it if there's nothing wrong functionally.

3. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

Nope. They are generally pretty quiet, especially stock. The volume will go up if you add suped up video cards, etc. I would look for a replacement if I were you, although I don't know if they'll send you one for a sound like that if it works well.

4. crjackson2134, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Mine is dead quiet, I would get it replaced if possible.

5. vander macrumors member

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Fans, HDD, ODD, and the internal speaker make sounds.

7. Gav Mack, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The singing capacitor which goes on for a minute or two after switching off?

New PSU most likely required or ask them to exchange it.

8. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

9. GearHeadG5 thread starter macrumors newbie

After turning it off, the "coil" whine lasts until I unplug the Mac Pro or turn off the surge protector.

10. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

A cap will sing and drop it's note when the power goes down or cut. If it stops immediately its likely a coil. Another power pack either way regardless.

11. MassMacMan macrumors regular

Another base 2009 quad-core chiming in. I have an early 2009, flashed to 5.1, running a hex-core 3.33 CPU, fully tricked out with add-ons, therefore LOTS of power consumption. Never had anything like what you've been hearing.

12. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

I think you knew what he meant. We are talking specifically about the power supply. FWIW mine is just fine, no noise.