Calling methods

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by lynkynpark86, Feb 20, 2011.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I've got a nib with two views. The classes for these views are "OfflineMusicViewController.h" (and .m), and PlayingView.h (and .m). In the main view of the xib (OfflineMusicView), there's a button that is supposed to a) start playing a music file (w/ AVFoundation), and b) switch to a new view in the same xib (PlayingView) that has a button that stops the music and closes the second view, going back to the first. I've got the AVAudioPlayer (theAudio) in OfflineMusicViewController.h, but I need to use "[theAudio stop];" in PlayingView.m. How can I give theAudio a command from a different class file?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need a reference to the instance of the other class in the instance you want to call it from.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You are mixing up your views and viewControllers. Normally, you should have a single viewController that is responsible for the (sub)views that, appropriately, it controls.

Have you read through the View Controller Programming Guide for IOS yet? If not, you should. This should help you sort the difference between views and viewControllers.