Calling multitasking security flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajroller, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ajroller macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have no idea if this is in the right section but I was wondering if there was some way to fix this or if anyone else had noticed this problem. When you have your phone locked and you receive a phone call you can answer it without typing in your password. Then you can use the multitasking to open any app that you have open in the background, which for me is every app I've ever opened as I never shut them down from running in the background. This basically means that if someone takes my phone who knows my number they can just call my phone and have access to all the information on my phone. I was wondering if there is anything to do about this or any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Keep your iphone with you and dont leave it hanging around, I highly doubt many people out there would know how to do that. Even iphone users wont.

3. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Close all of those apps... They just slow down the phone anyways...

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Try Androidlock XT, or Locktopus on Cydia. I use both just a little paranoid, and I absolutely hate when people want to touch phone and want to look through my apps. Need to be jailbroken for both of course.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you just dont give it to them then?

6. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

When I mean people, its probably a certain person. :D I'm just giving an example.

Wow, I thought this was hack forum. I'm slow.

7. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The iron clad security of Steve Jobs is perfect. You can absolutely put all your sensitive documents and passwords on your iProduct. The previously known 10 ways of bypassing the lock screen do not exist. /sarcasm

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

that's a negative ghost rider.... I have had over 100 apps "open" in the tray and it didn't slow down my phone. When the apps are in the tray they are dormant using little power if any

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see now.:D

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

That is weird. I just tried it on my AT&T iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1 and double tapping the home button simply brought it back to the password screen. If it is allowing you to get to other apps that is definitely a security problem.

11. critic81 macrumors regular

I just tested this out with iPhone 4 with 4.3. If you have a grace period set in your passcode settings then this is the case. Basically if you have it set up to let say 5 minutes go by before the passcode kicks in, then yes, if you call up and answer the call then multitask you can go to any other app and then the homescreen without "unlocking" your phone. But if you are past the grace period or if you have passcode set up to immediately be active, then if you multitask from a answered call you then will be greeted to enter you password. Seems to work as it should to me.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

My experience is that some things don't go completely dormant and many do still use up memory. I would run out of memory if I left too many "big" applications (like navigation) open. Shutting them down fixes the problem.

13. critic81 macrumors regular

You are not going to "run out of memory". The OS will shut down apps if an active app does not have enough memory to run. Yes I can say that if I have a couple games that are "open" in the background I can see some OS animations slowed down, but that is about it. You won't run out of memory though.