Calling Out (iPad3 & Google Voice)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lugesm, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Google Voice: Nice app . . . . but one cannot call OUT with this app.

Yes, I know; this has been discussed, but there is a new element on the scene now. Magic Jack now has an iPad app that works very well for both outgoing and incoming calls.

I read somewhere that Google Voice does not provide for OUTGOING calls, because of some limitation of the iPad itself. Magic Jack sure seems to have solved that problem.

Question: Does anyone know of a clean solution for the Google Voice OUTcalling issue? I have read on this forum about a combination of Google Voice and two (2) other iPad apps, but that seems unnecessarily complicated . . . especially in view of the clean, effective functionality of Magic Jack for iPad.

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Talkatone will let you use google voice for outgoing calls via the iPad all in one app and no need to switch apps.
    I use it all the time with a headset.

3. nolem macrumors member

I use Vtok for google voice calls, which I do frequently. Free app that integrates a couple google voice features but to be able to make calls with your GV number you pay a one time $1.99 in app fee. The interface and layout could be prettier but the app does outgoing and incoming calls well.

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Talkatone. Calling and receiving

The Vonage app is another choice. Definitely allows calling. Don't think it allows receiving.

Haven't tried MagicJack. Might look into it.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

GV uses your voice minutes which do not apply to the iPad. GV isn't a VOIP solution.

You need a VOIP solution such as the ones suggested above.

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the comments.

Tried Talkatone, and it works, but it is much less user-friendly than Magic Jack app for iPad.

Magic Jack for iPad (no hardware & free app) just works, and it is so simple to use; just as easy as a touch-tone telephone !

In fact, Magic Jack seems to be too good to be true; just wondering when they will start charging for it.

7. gammaknife macrumors newbie

i couldn't find both vonage and magic jack ipad apps. do you have a link? Thanks

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Magicjack looks like a pain in the ass. To reach you someone has to call an 800 number, wait for a prompt and then call your number. No thank you. There are also a lot of terrible reviews for it in the app store.

I use Talkatone and am happy with it but I've always got my eyes open in case there's a better way.

9. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Try App Store under iPhone apps.

Let us know how it works for you.

10. henchman macrumors 6502a

Not true.
    If you Buy a magic jack, you can use your iPad just like a phone.
    People can call you directly.

11. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

magicjack is an iPhone app but it will work on your iPad.

I've never used Magicjack but the description on the app page runs through what I described above. Obviously there's something I don't understand not having used it.

It's nice to see that there are more and more options for free phone calls these days.

12. henchman macrumors 6502a

Magicjack is voip solution that you can buy, to use on any computer, via a USB stick. So you don't need a landline. It becomes your landline. And you can port your existing landline number to it.
    And it has an iPhone app.

13. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

There are two forms of Magic Jack. The first was a hardware USB stick that cost 19.95 per year. This hardware version works on any computer.

The latest is an iPhone app that runs on the iPad and it's totally free. I have made many FREE calls on it with no difficulty. Have not tried receiving calls on it yet.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Why are you so obsessively fixed on MagicJack? I've used Vonage, and it work really, really well. I'll use Talkatone if I need something incoming (like when traveling to another country with a data-only SIM).

15. henchman macrumors 6502a

That's the whole point though.
    Calling out,mis easy.
    If you want to ave a number people can call you back on, and leave a voicemail if you miss the call, you have to pay forvthe yearly subscription.
    It's a fantastic tool for people who travel, as well as for those who call overseas a lot.

----------

Except vonage charges you a monthly fee.
    $10 a month to start, if I'm correct.

16. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Sounds like OP is trying pretty hard to sell us on "Magic Jack for iPad."

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just tried talkatone with my google voice account. Worked great once the call went through (app crashed a few times first).

18. henchman macrumors 6502a

Because it really is a great solution.
    But it rally rocks if you actually have a Magicjack account.
    I do, and people can call me on my iPad from anywhere.

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

No. The app is free, international calls to landlines cost a few cents a minute. Calls to US and Canada landlines are free.

20. henchman macrumors 6502a

Again, calling out only.
    If I'm abroad, traveling. I can receive calls that have been forwarded from my google voice to my iPad using Magicjack. Also, I can just have people call me at my Magicjack number while I'm traveling. And talk to them using my iPad.
    No roaming charges.

21. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Free (?) Vonage

Guess you missed my initial posting. All I wanted was a way to use Google Voice both inbound and outbound. Google Voice has far more features than Magic Jack, but I can make outbound calls on the latter.

----------

In reading the Vonage ad, it appears that the "Free Calls and Texting" only applies when communicating with other Vonage customers. :confused:

Am I correct in this ?

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If anyone would actually use Google, they would find that Vonage is free for calling to other app users or anywhere in the US and Canada, and available for low rates worldwide to landlines and mobiles. Texting is in-app only.

Google Voice and Talkatone will do incoming and outgoing calling.

Maybe MagicJack actually is good, but I'd be interested to see an actual comparison, not someone who is obsessively fixated on MagicJack, which has a lot to prove, given their poor service and semi-scam connection fee tactics in the past. Vonage and Google are proven, reputable, and high-quality providers.

23. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

24. henchman macrumors 6502a

What is OBI?

Anyway,I have google voice, and also Magicjack.
    I got Magicjack a few years ago,when I wanted to dump my landline.
    So, all I know is that people can call my old landline number, and I will get the call.