Calling photographers! Card reader!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I was wondering if any fellow photographers had advice for me. I want to get a card reader when I get my new MacBook Pro. Any specific suggestions?

Currently using Sandisk highspeed CF cards for dslr and PNY SDHC for Canon G10.

And I am getting a 17" which currently does not have an SD card slot, so please don't try to tell me mine will have it when I get it... lol

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used to use (when my computer had an ExpressCard slot) a Delkin ExpressCard 34 UDMA CF reader. That proved to be very fast. I able to achieve 40MB/s to 50MB/s read and write speeds with Sandisk Extreme IV CF cards. Now I use a FW800 Lexar CF card reader on my desktop. It's just as fast, albeit a bit bulky to carry around.

Sorry I can't help with the SD card issue as I do not use SD cards.

3. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

Do you care about speed of data transfers? If you do, then choose the Lexar FW800 reader for your CF cards. Makes a HUGE difference in speed with large file transfers. I shoot a 5DMk2 and generate about 3 to 4 GB of data from each session.

The FW800 reader is a big time saver for me. Makes FW400 seem sluggy and USB 2.0 feels like a downright turd.

Highly recommended.

If you don't mind slow and/or you don't have much data to move, USB 2.0 gets the job done.