Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Has anyone ever called UPS to get an expected or earliest time for launch day delivery? I cant be home and the earliest someone else can for me is around noon. For my 4S it was fedex and came around 3. I was wondering if by calling UPS they can say most likely after noon, or most likely before noon at the minimum.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
They may be able to give a window of time like 8-12 or 12-7 something like that. Do you know what time the UPS driver normally comes to your street? Shouldn't be too off that time, maybe a little later do to the increased number of deliveries.

wope

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
UPS isn't going to give you any time frame other than "by the end of the day". If anything, you should expect them to likely be later than normal due to all the iPhone deliveries.

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
See that is my issue I don't remember what time they usually come. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that it is after noon.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
UPS isn't going to give you any time frame other than "by the end of the day". If anything, you should expect them to likely be later than normal due to all the iPhone deliveries.

If you signup for their My Choice service it will give a time window.

steemax

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
SoCal
This is also an issue I'm having... last iphone launch the UPS driver came by my house at 5:30pm.... Another thing is it's always random here... UPS may come by at 11am one day.... or 12:30pm (like yesterday when they delivered my case) or sometimes they come at 3:30 to 4:30.....

Kind of sucks, I just have to hope there's someone home to sign for it.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
I signed up, but I can't find that information

They will send an email the day before the package is supposed to come (usually at like 1 am Thursday morning for a Friday delivery). The email will tell you you have a package coming and give a 3 hour estimated delivery time, mine is between 10 and 1 and always comes around 10:30.

----------

This is also an issue I'm having... last iphone launch the UPS driver came by my house at 5:30pm.... Another thing is it's always random here... UPS may come by at 11am one day.... or 12:30pm (like yesterday when they delivered my case) or sometimes they come at 3:30 to 4:30.....

Kind of sucks, I just have to hope there's someone home to sign for it.

Ive found that they have 2 driver, for my area at least, one comes about 10:30am and the other comes around 6 or 7. Usually express shipments come to me at the 10:30 delivery and ground come at night. My apple stuff always comes on the earlier delivery. Sometimes if Im getting 2 or more packages I will get both delivery trucks.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone ever called UPS to get an expected or earliest time for launch day delivery? I cant be home and the earliest someone else can for me is around noon. For my 4S it was fedex and came around 3. I was wondering if by calling UPS they can say most likely after noon, or most likely before noon at the minimum.

Please don't call UPS. The poor guy is trying to deliver 1000 iPhones in his area. Give hims a break.

I gave the delivering guy a bottle water and a small bag of chips. He was as happy as he can be.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Depends on the type of UPS service they are using. Some are guaranteed by 8am, others by 10:30am and 3pm, or end of day. From a couple peoples tracking info it looks like they are using UPS Worldwide Saver which is end of day. Depends on how far down the list you are on your drivers route.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Depends on the type of UPS service they are using. Some are guaranteed by 8am, others by 10:30am and 3pm, or end of day. From a couple peoples tracking info it looks like they are using UPS Worldwide Saver which is end of day. Depends on how far down the list you are on your drivers route.

You are right. The deliveries are end of business days. I may be wrong. That means up to 5PM for business address and 8-9PM for residential.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007

I have never seen or heard of UPS providing a time frame for delivery (other than by the end of the day) unless it is a next day air saver or something else time sensitive. I am a UPS My Choice member, too.

In my neighborhood, there is a UPS truck that rolls through any time between 10am and noon (the time sensitive deliveries) and the main delivery truck normally gets through our area between 4pm-8pm. Typically though, my area is on the last leg of our UPS guy's delivery track, so it can get kind of annoying.

I would suggest trying to see if you can change your phone to Will Call pick up before it gets on the truck for the first delivery attempt. That is what I did, and I plan on picking up my phone at a major UPS hub at 8am before work. Your options may vary though, depending on what the closest option is to your home.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have never seen or heard of UPS providing a time frame for delivery (other than by the end of the day) unless it is a next day air saver or something else time sensitive. I am a UPS My Choice member, too.

In my neighborhood, there is a UPS truck that rolls through any time between 10am and noon (the time sensitive deliveries) and the main delivery truck normally gets through our area between 4pm-8pm. Typically though, my area is on the last leg of our UPS guy's delivery track, so it can get kind of annoying.

I would suggest trying to see if you can change your phone to Will Call pick up before it gets on the truck for the first delivery attempt. That is what I did, and I plan on picking up my phone at a major UPS hub at 8am before work. Your options may vary though, depending on what the closest option is to your home.

If you have a UPS account, they would give you a 2 hour window of estimated delivery time. There is a "*" next to that hours saying it is an estimate.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

I once got a UPS delivery out where I live (in the country) around 8:30 at night.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas

They won't be able to give you a time frame. They will come when they normally drop stuff off at your house as they usually follow the same route. For me, they normally come in the afternoon. If you aren't sure what time they come I would go ahead and look at the tracking of a pervious package and you can see what time they have come before.

Also, if you sign up for UPS My Choice you can change it so that you can pick it up at the UPS facility if that is better for you.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
They will be late. Especially with the absurd number of preorders. During the 5 release, my driver didn't show up until 7pm. He usually hits my house 2-3pm.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
See that is my issue I don't remember what time they usually come. I guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that it is after noon.

UPS and FedEx will NOT be operating like normal on Friday. Both carriers will be using extra manpower and trucks to get all the phone deleivered. Business address first and residential soon aftger. It could be any where from 9am to 8pm or even later on residential.

Calling will not help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.