Calling Verizon, planning to cancel before I activate my iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Buschmaster, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

So I want to realllllly avoid that termination fee.

What are the right things to say? I have recently moved to a new college in a different city. It's in a valley. Should I say that I don't get reception down here especially in buildings and it's not worth having a phone?

Can I get in trouble for saying something like I am moving to Europe to finish school if I'm really not?

What are the right things to say to get out?

By the way, I'll be making this call on Friday or Saturday, but I just want to be really set up well for it.

Also, there is a Verizon store in my hometown which is where I'll be for the weekend, would this be better/worse to try?

Edit: Also, I posted my phone for free in the marketplace and on celltradeusa.com.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

One thing to keep in mind is that your number can't be ported unless your old account is still active.

However, I'm not sure what Verizon will think when they receive a port request and then you arguing you don't have to pay the termination fee.

I'd just pony up and pay it... it was in the contract, it shouldn't come as thaaat much of a surprise.

3. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

If I have to switch numbers that'd be fine by me.

It'd be better than paying all that money.;)

4. joeconvert macrumors 6502

You're getting a $200 better cash deal than those the picked one up not long ago. Just look at it like Apple subsidizing your ETF.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you can prove they don't have coverage where you are that's your best bet. Unfortunately you'll need a bill or some other indicator of your residence. You can't just plunk your finger down on a dead spot in their coverage map and declare that's where you live.

How long have you been on VZW? You can always try to argue for a prorated etf or for a discount based on poor subjective reception even if they claim its perfect. If you are polite but firm and explain that while they may say they get great reception in Town X, you're getting crap reception and are unhappy, maybe some sympathetic CSR will knock your ETF down to 150 or 100. Just an idea.

6. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Even a discounted break would be good.

I have been with them for 21 months.

7. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

21 months? So u have 3 left? Its hard if not impossible to get them to cut any type of break, you cant wait 3mos?

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

They will not budge, we had verizon since before it was even called verizon [GTE wireless] and when we tried to cancel, we were still slammed with a $600 ETF [3 phones].

No pro-rated ETF, no special deals were even offered to try and keep us as customers. Nothing.

In the end we paid it, and moved on [ATT now, still evil, but at least they don't cripple their phones.]

I hate them. but I must admit, their coverage is waaay better than what ATT has.

9. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Waiting 3 months is the last resort, but I really don't want to. ;)

My iPod has gone on the fritz and I really need an iPod for around campus, too.

If I could use it as esentially an iPod touch I'd just wait for sure.

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Tell them you are going out of the country for 3 months and that you want your phone placed on "vacation" status or changed to a cheaper plan. Then just run out your contract...

11. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

You can really do that?

How much cheaper does the plan get?

12. mets1125 macrumors regular

When you put your phone on vacation stop it also freezes your contract soo you still under contract.

13. mets1125 macrumors regular

You can try to talk to a CSR, I really dont think they will pro-rate or do anything for you. But you can know the verizon plan down to the 39.99 plan for the last 3 months and it will be cheaper than the ETF. like this you'll have both services for 3 months. The only problem is if you want to port the # you wont be able to.