Calling Vs Emailing for Business Correspondence

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 31, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

While I have gotten by with past ventures by solely email correspondence surprisingly, I am trying to draw the etiquette line between when to email and when to call as to be respected and taken as seriously as possibly. Admittedly I can type more eloquently than I speak most of the time so I do prefer email correspondence to not be thrown off-guard but I feel some professionals may find issue in my ignoring their requests to setup a call (which are usually worded to seem to give an option whether to call or not: not that it's a requisite) and simply continuing via email.

Assuredly major correspondence should at least have some type of phone conversation introduction? (Frankly I'd prefer to stick to email but I do see the value in talking to the person on the other end even when correspondence via email provides stronger communication in my opinion.)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if they ask for a phone call, or a meeting, an email in its place will be regarded as odd. I too prefer emails over phone calls, but sometimes its best to pick up the phone.

For instance, my boss and I were discussing an issue with series of updates I was applying to the system. Instead of dealing with going back and forth for most of the morning, I talked to her directly. I was able to explain the situation and possible solution, to which she agreed. Basically I saved a ton of time by talking instead of emailing.

Emails have their place, but not at the expense of a conversation, i.e., emails are one way.

3. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Important issues or heated issues should be conducted over the phone. Emails can be taken out of context and they can come back to haunt you.