Calls disconnect when 3GS Wifi is turned on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgamber, Jul 14, 2009.

1. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Has anyone else had a problem with calls being dropped when Wifi is enabled? I've noticed this twice so far, only twice because I don't do voice calls often. I use Slingplayer and Orb pretty extensively and since I don't want AT&T having a fit, I use wifi quite a bit. I don't think the phone is supposed to do this and I'm wondering if a trip to the Apple store is in order.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have a 3G so can't say anything about it happening to me (doesn't on my 3G), but I can say that the phone is suppose to be able to be on 3G or WiFi and perform voice calls at the same time: i.e. you can surf Safari or check your email while talking on the phone to someone.

I would take it to Apple if they are close or call Apple Care, after a restore of course (assuming a restore doesn't fix the problem).

3. mgamber thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Yeah, I have three 3G's and they all work fine. I've never had a call dropped by any of them for any reason. Well, since AT&T finally got it together around here. I haven't had a call dropped by any of them in about nine months, how's that? :) I suppose I should try a few calls today and make sure it's actually a problem and, if so, I'll definitely take it in for an exchange.

4. hsk macrumors regular

I was searching around for this - I have had it happen twice. I have been on wifi and made a call and it either did not go through or dropped after a minute. I don't seem to have a problem when wifi is off. I'll keep monitoring it.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I keep WiFi on with my 3GS all the time. Since I've had the S, not a single dropped call.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm right there with you!

I can be at 5 bars and then dropped down to no bars and gotting a few failed calls. I can literly watch the bars drop in front of me. my phone is currently jb & ul but I am thinking of going back to see if another phone will fix this problem or maybe 3.1. this is my only headache with my phone! and turning of the wifi or 3g seems to fix it a little.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What makes you think wifi is the problem?

I drop tons of calls with or without wifi on.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

For me

I have noticed my signal strength goes back up when I turn of the wifi. I can literally watch it go from 5 bars to none in a flash. Cydia has crashed on me. which means I will have to re jailbreak the phone. so I will probably leave it restored for a while and take it back to see what they say at the genus bar.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

And off the subject, if Apple made CDMA phones and you were on Verizon,
    you can't talk and surf at the same time. Keep that in mind the next time
    you hear bashing about ATT.