Calls over wifi on EE (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TWHH, Sep 20, 2014.

1. TWHH macrumors regular

Morning all,

Picked up my 6+ y'day. Switched to EE for calls over wifi as my house has shocking mobile signal from all networks.

Anyone know how I access this feature? Can't find it anywhere in the settings. Even did a very rare thing and plugged my phone into iTunes (updated beforehand) hoping a carrier update my have been pushed to the phone.

Thanks

2. highlightshadow macrumors regular

EE hasn't yet enabled it ...

They claim they'll activate it before the end of 2014! Its in final testing apparantly

Once it shows up, following a carrier update i'd suspect, there will be a new option in the Settings > General > Phone called WiFi Calling to enable

3. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, well that's not really in keeping with their marketing guff then is it. And I include their various emails to me in which this very feature was the main reason they highlighted for why an iPhone on EE is great in that.

Must go back to those mails and seek out the tiny * and corresponding `coming soon` caveat!

4. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I'm on ee and i get the thing where now if somebody calls my iPhone 6, my now simless iPhone and 5 and Ipad mini retina all ring over wifi.

I have taken calls on both iPad and simless Iphone 5 with this method. i'm not talking about facetime here but incoming mobile numbers showing up on all devices.

Not sure if this is wifi calling or handoff :confused:

5. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

1st paragraph from their most recent mail:

"Phone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available to pre-order on EE today. No other network is bigger, faster and more reliable.

You'll also get access to Apple's WiFi Calling – so you'll be able to make calls over WiFi in places you don't have coverage today."

Note use of the word `today`

Then from the small print at the email footer:

"WiFi Calling: You'll be charged for minutes/texts as per your EE price plan, see ee.co.uk/priceguides. Data charges may apply for the data used during WiFi Calling, check with the WiFi provider. If you leave the WiFi zone during a call, the call will drop."

No mention of not yet being available.

Bit naughty that.

6. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

that's a feature of continuity in iOS 8. All devices running iOS 8 / Yosemite signed in with the same iCloud account on the same WiFi network will do this I believe

7. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Complain to ee then. Take you're money elsewhere

8. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Bit late. Signed up for 2 years. Oh, and I'm not sure I could take my money elsewhere as no other operator has yet to say they'll be supporting calls over wifi. Saying that Three might be, but given EE's marketing efforts I thought/was misled t'was available now.

Not a deal breaker as I'm sure it'll be here soon, just surprised at the marketing/reality mismatch.

Just sayin

9. MBPMax macrumors member

Not sure if this what you're after, but have a look at O2's TuGo App. It lets you take and place calls over WiFi. I've used it for a year now as reception in my building is terrible and it's been (for the most part!) working flawlessly.

10. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure Three have no plans to support it, they have just released an app to do this instead

11. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

I've left O2 now, but I did try the TuGo app (was an O2 employee when it was being tested internally too). Unfortunately I found it (the release versions and subsequent updates) to be buggy. The call quality was patchy at best, and missed calls and text notifications would be replicated by the native phone and message apps and TuGo. Ended up deleting it.

Also, it being a separate app means it's not quite as easy and integrated as properly supported 'calls over wifi' .

For the app based VoIP apps that I've tried Viber, Skype and BT SmartTalk work much better (appreciated some of those require recipient to be a user or require call credit).

Anyways...