Calls straight to voicemail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Toadjeep, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Toadjeep macrumors newbie

Ever since I have updated my phone to 3.1.1 and now 3.1.2 with the carrier update I have noticed that I have been receiving more calls that go straight to voicemail. My phone will be sitting on my desk with 5 bars of service, no ringing or missed call just message saying I have a new voicemail. I have experienced this 5 times in the last 4 days, whereas before I would have one maybe every three months.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?

2. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I have had several calls go directly to voicemail. My phone is in my pocket and there is no vibrate. When I turn the phone on, there's a voicemail waiting. I'll see if the new update helps. It supposed to help my problem with the phone disabling altogether.

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I have also experienced this. Sitting there and all of a sudden I'll get a voice mail alert. Phone never rang

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

How many bars do you have? The voicemail could be delayed, or you could've missed the call due to lack of service

5. dazey macrumors 6502

This is often due to a cell being too busy. A cell can support a certain number of users as registered and a certain number of calls and data streams. If a call comes in for you and the cell to which you are registered has no available bandwidth it bounces the call to voicemail.

6. Toadjeep thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand why they send it directly to voicemail. My concern is that it is happening more and more frequently. I would only have this happen if I was in spotty reception. Now I have had it happen to me 4 times just today. I have never had this problem at my house before.

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

People try to pin this on ATT all the time.

Fact of the matter is, I have been on BellSouth Mobility, Cingular and now ATT since my StarTAC.

It has NEVER happened to me this frequently or consistently until I got the iPhone.

Ever.

8. iRich1G macrumors member

You are not alone, this happened to me today with at least 5 calls, that I know of. I had full service, and phone was not in use. I updated last night to 3.1.2. I first noticed this was happening more often after updating to 3.1. I had this same issue several months ago with my 3G, I now have a 3G. What I did notice was that every call that went straight to voicemail was not a number stored in my phone, or out of area. I only know of the missed calls in which a voicemail was left. During the day I did receive calls from numbers that were stored in my phone, and did not have same issue.

9. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Yep. This is definitely and issue that I've had for a while. The recent OS updates didn't help. In fact, yesterday this happened twice...

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Pretty impressive you're already having this problem with OS 3.1.2 for 4 days, even though it's released on thursday.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

12. iRich1G macrumors member

Actually the thread starter stated that they notice this happening more often after updating to 3.1, which was released 9/9/09.

13. Toadjeep thread starter macrumors newbie

For the people that like to be sarcastic try reading the whole thing before you open your mouth and stick your foot in it.