CallTell, tells you who's calling before it rings, Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 25, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

CallTell speaks the name of who's calling you before your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 rings.

Find out who's calling you BEFORE looking at your phone! CallTell announces who's calling you before ringing. It also works for text messages! You can even have CallTell read the text message out loud as well. You can enable/disable certain features via the CallTell page, in the Settings app.

CallTell uses the volume from the iPod player to determine how loud it speaks. You can configure the app from the Settings Menu.

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Why are you talking like an advert? And why have you created a new thread about this program when there's already one on the first page still?

3. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks.

5. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Sorry, I didn't know there was one started already in iPhone Hacks forum.

I just bought the app and it is exactly what I wanted. I made custom ringtones via Terminal app on my Mac to do this, but this app is better before it is in general ringtone. Love it!

Sorry if this is a repeat.

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i don't really get why there's a need for this, are people that lazy they can't even be bothered to look at their phone when it rings?

7. pauliphone macrumors regular

Can be useful if you are driving and using a handsfree kit, so you can know without having to take your eyes off the road. Also for reading texts out loud, avoids trying to read a text whilst trying to drive.

Also useful when your listening to music and iPhone is in your pocket, if you use the apple headphones you can answer or reject the call without pulling out of your pocket... Yes I know this is lazy, but pretty much anything we do technology wise could be looked on as lazy - why bother having a remote for your tv!

Would be good if they could do a toggle for SBSettings for the text message reading, so can be easily turned on when driving or listening to headphones and turned off at other times. Don't really want all my text messages being read out in public!!

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Americans are. Our level of laziness and strong sense of entitlement are at epic proportions.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yes every American is lazy and every Americana feels entitled to money, fame and fortune. :rolleyes:

10. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I just assign different ringtones to different people. Depending on the song I know who is calling.

11. thep33t macrumors regular

AND most people around me do not. What I do.

12. mrathee macrumors 6502

a- Driving, working, etc etc

b- Doing something with your hands like cleaning, working on some hardware, setting up a computer, cooking, etc etc etc etc

Any time you dont want stop what you are doing (a) or your hands are dirty/occupied (b) this solution is great.

13. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

^^^ this.

worked well when i was playing madden 11 online the other day. it read a text outloud that wasnt worth checking or replying to.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is there a way to set this up so that it only announces the name of the who's person calling when I'm connected to my hands free kit in my car? I don't really want or need it to do announce anything when I sitting at my desk at work or just walking around. The only time I would need it is when I'm in my car so I'm wondering if there's a setting for it to only make announcements when it's connected to a bluetooth headset or speakerphone. Even then, I'd probably only want it to announce the caller, not read my text messages. I can't imagine that this app is that sophisticated but maybe someone here knows.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Well the developer said that he was creating a toogle for the app for sbsettings and upgrading it for extra languages, and yes if you go into settings for the app it has 3 options, calls, name of person for txt and read the txt, so you can pick 1, 2 or 3 things you want it to do. I don't know if it works with bluetooth though...

16. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

it

has nothing to do with laziness....i think the app is cool...before when
    i got a text message, you don't want to let it sit without reading it...
    now I hear who its from and what it is...i can respond only if I want to...
    So call me lazy...:confused:

17. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That sounds good but I only want to use it if it recognizes that the phone is connected to a bluetooth device and only announces the callers then. If I have to manually turn something on and off every time, it's not worth it to me. I wouldn't even need it if the the iphone's bluetooth stack was complete. My hands-free speakerphone is already supposed to announce the name of the person that's calling but it doesn't work with the iphone.

18. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

So just a word of warning I bought this app and I put my phone on vibrate cause I was going to a meeting. In the middle of the meeting the phone announces the name of the person calling!

Apparently the vibrate/mute button does not mute this app. I uninstalled it because that's not acceptable to me.

Just FYI

19. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

volume is controlled through media player, turn your ipod volume down

20. jinx1000 macrumors member

This will be cool if they get the volume to control off the ringtone volume.

I had an app like this for my G1/Droid and I loved it. Maybe it could do something like this if it uses the media player. Take a read off of the ringtone volume, record current media player volume level, set media player volume level to match ringtone volume, do its thing and then restore media volume.

21. mjfan82 macrumors regular

i will definitely download once its compatible with Bite

22. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Irealsms has text to voice built in. I don't see why bitesms can't add it as well. No need for this app if they could add it to bite just like ireal.

23. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

You might want to check out AutoRingtone, if you don't mind my commercial message! (PRO is only $0.99 and we have several FREE versions)

AutoRingtone lets you create Text-To-Speech Talking CallerID ringtones that you assign to your contacts. There's no jailbreaking required and ringtones obey the volume/vibrate settings. You can also use ~200 sound effects as an introduction to play before the message is spoken, in dozens of commercially licensed TTS voices.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

but how about the names on phone calls....

25. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I have a blueant Q1 headset....it already announces who's calling by telling you the ten digit number of the person calling, not the name of whom is calling.

Does this app announce the name or the number??

Secondly, how would this play with my headset already announcing who is calling? hmmmm, I'm wondering if I might be able to just turn off that feature in my headset's settings.

Anyhow, I'd love if someone could answer my questions please!