Callwave Visual Voicemail and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Aug 11, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I had this on my Motorola Q with Verizon and it was just awesome. Now with the iPhone, I have AT&T's Visual Voice mail, but there are a LOT of limitations which Callwave seems to do much better:

#1 - Missed calls - Callwave would always put a message in my inbox when I had a missed call with no voice mail left. This was especially useful when I was in a no cell phone coverage area, because my phone never rang, but i ALWAYS knew I had a missed call because Callwave would pick it up.

#2 - Voicemail delivered to email as a .wav - As much as I love the voice mail on the phone display, sometimes it's handy to have it in my inbox. This is great because I can save messages forever, not be limited to storage and time constraints by my mobile provider. This is also nice when I'm at work because I can discretely listen to my voice mails with my headphones on without having to actually use my phone.

#3 - Desktop Widget on a mac, awesome!

Has anyone used Callwave Visual Voicemail with their iphone? Does it work well?

To make it work I know you have to set up call forwarding and forward all calls to Callwave. How does the call forwarding get charged with AT&T? I understand it goes against your minutes, so if you get a 3 minute voice mail during the daytime, you get charged 3 anytime minutes, is that correct? But on nights and weekends, it would be free?

2. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I didn't get any replies, so i tried it today, and it works great, since I still have the same phone number, I just had to turn on call forwarding on my iphone following their directions, and now all my voice mails come to email.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are letting new customers sign up any more. The way I originally got it was through the widgets on my Macbook pro, but I don't think you can just sign up any more.

3. mektare macrumors newbie

How did you forward the call on iPhone?

Hi, I used to be a happy callwave user with my Nokia 6682. Having transitioned over to iPhone, I dearly miss the callwave functionality as you articulated very well.

Upon setting up the call forwarding all calls were being forwarded to callwave, not just the voicemail (when there is no response from me on the cell). How did you go about configuring so that only the voicemail gets forwarded to callwave.

thanks in advance!
    cheers
    M

4. mektare macrumors newbie

Callwave setup for iPhone

Any ideas on how to configure call-forwarding for iPhone?

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

6. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is all you have to do to turn it on, go to your phone, and go to the dialpad and dial:

*004*17756651234*11#

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are taking new signups for the free services from what I can tell. For those who already had an account before porting their number to an iphone, you can do the above to forward to Callwave. The above code forwards busy, no answer, and no service or phone turned off calls, which is what you want.

I'm just hoping and praying mine works for a while. :)

7. mektare macrumors newbie

That helped!

Thanks for that GSM code! I now have my callwave up and running.

Btw, The callwave's MAC client is great but does not have the functionality to make/receive calls. Try the windows software and you get an option to pick up your call from the computer or redirect it to another number in real-time. This comes in very handy if you forget your phone at home or when you are traveling internationally. I wish the MAC client had this feature.

Callwave rocks! well if they keep our trial subscriptions active :) I agree with Van, its not worth $15 a month.

cheers!
    M

8. nabilalk macrumors newbie

Youmail is free Callwave alternative with bonus features!

You might try www.Youmail.com They claim that they will always offer a free service and they have some features that Callwave doesn't have. "YouMail which can SMS or e-mail you the message when it comes in and it offers a customizable greeting for each caller. As an added bonus, you can "ditch" those crazy people you don't want/need to hear from"

In my opinion there voicemail transcription service is not as accurate as Callwave's but they only added that functionality in April, so I am sure with time, the quality of transcription will improve.