Calmshell mode and display problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imofean, Oct 28, 2008.

1. imofean macrumors newbie

Whenever I use my MBP at home, I always connect it with an external moniter. Everything is working fine and running smoothly in calm shell mode.
    However, today after shutting down the MBP I open the lid and found out that the lower left corner of the MBP display is very hot as the hot air is releaseing from there.
    I'm wondering will the heat damage the MBP display?

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

It is possible, I believe. I used to do this with my PowerBook 1.67 and I remember the display began to show a line at the bottom of the screen where the metal strip above the F keys were. It was faint but it still bugged me. Once I saw that, I quit using it in clamshell mode.

It might be different now with the glass screen.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The lesson here is that running it with the lid closed is a bad idea, laptops get hot so reducing places for the head to escape seems like a false economy. Not sure why people do this as irt reduces the available screen space.

Two Screens > One Screen.

In regards to the possible damage, if you can't see any distortion then its probably fine.

4. imofean thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems that the temperature drop abit if I open the lid and let the air release from the vent.
    I'm using a cooling pad and the MBP usually stay at 133F (56 - 59C) when I'm surfing the web and using itune.
    Is it normal?