Calorie count during Car/train rides way off?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chfilm, Sep 22, 2015.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hi,

I recently did a couple of long car and train rides, about 6 hours each, and realized how my calorie count went slowly high and higher, throughout the ride.

This also happened, after I reset the watch twice.

Anybody else recognizing this behavior? In a car I could imagine that the amplified stress level on a highway could raise the heart rate to a point where the watch thinks I'm burning calories, but sitting on a train?
    Or is the accelerometer somehow being thrown off by the movement?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This

3. friedmud macrumors 65816

The Watch has to infer what you're doing based on the sensors it has. If it thinks you're swinging your arm because you're bouncing around in a train... then it thinks you're walking.

How much is "way off" though?

I'll note that you definitely do burn some calories above your resting calorie burn when you are in a car or on a train. Your muscles are constantly working to counteract all of the forces and keep your body upright and your head level.

4. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Well, I can't tel you hoe OFF it is, but it definitely feels weird that if I Jahr sit in a train for 6 hours, I'm supposed to have burned 500 calories, while during the same time on front of the computer I just burn maybe 80 or so..

5. friedmud macrumors 65816

500 is quite a bit - that's a bummer. I haven't used it on a long train ride like that yet. I would consider 500 to be pretty far off ;-)

6. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

If it's the sensors being thrown off by the movement, I'd suggest, that apple combines the arm movements with the gps of the iPhone, to see that I'm in a vehicle.

7. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Exactly. Maybe it's 300 or 400, but it is a lot