Calories Burned?!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Andy0568, May 7, 2015.

1. Andy0568, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015

Andy0568 macrumors regular

I'm a 29 year old male, 5'7", 155lbs, and in a one-hour workout, my MyZone chest strap monitor (http://myzone.org, what my gym uses) tells me I burn ~800-1000calories. E.g., a couple weeks ago I worked out for 69 minutes, average heart rate was 144bpm and peak heart rate was 184bpm. MyZone said I burned 904calories.

I just did some indoor cycling at home for 47 minutes and my Apple Watch said I had an average heart rate of 141bpm, 98 active calories, 76 resting calories, for a total of 174 calories burned

Does MyZone just juke the calories burned numbers to be high? Or is the Apple Watch under calculating calories burned? Thanks!

2. Jason83 macrumors regular

Jason83

Yesterday on the elliptical my watch had me burn 460 calories with an avg of 150bpm over 40 minutes. That same workout with my Wahoo chest strap reported nearly double. I tend to believe the watch over the wahoo app, it always seemed to scale way higher than I expected.

3. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

are you guys running the Workout app and your chosen 3rd party apps at the same time? Not really sure how to properly use these tracking apps.

Does the 3rd party app transfer it's info to the Activity and Workout app?

4. Andy0568 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't use a 3rd party app. I wanted to use a Polar chest strap with my Apple Watch but it would never connect in Settings. I don't think 3rd party apps will transfer into the Apple Watch

5. StefanWolves macrumors regular

Shortly after receiving my watch I went to play squash, which is basically short burst running with regular 20 second breaks, cardio. I burnt 600 calories in just over an hour and a half.

But today, I've done naf all but sit at my desk and run up and down a few flights of stairs...and have supposedly burned nearly 300. In fact I've only done 1500 steps.

So no, in conclusion, I don't believe the Apple Watch!!