Calpella MBPs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Santabean2000, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Hello All,

I'm doing my best to resist temptation on a new MBP by entertaining thoughts of how good the next generation will be, and how I should really wait for that.

However, I need some info on what I can realistically expect.

This is what I'm hoping for a Quad Nehalem CPU, similar graphics setup to current - but next gen whatever that'll be, 8GB RAM supported, and dual HDDs.

Also, couple of questions:
    *Can you have a SSD and HDD in the same machine?

*SSD are better for random access..? HDD better for sequential tasks..? - Which would better hold the apps on your machine, and which more suited for holding your files? (speed wise, as opposed to capacity - I'm assuming large SSDs will be limited and quite expensive for some time to come).

Cheers

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The short answer is no

But if you are brave enough to do a little mod to your machine, you could technically be able to do it. The current optical drive is connected to the rest of the hardware by a mini-sata port (don't know which kind) and you would only have to remove it, and place your HD in the place. (A little search on the Macbook forum can help you since someone already asked the question). The downside is that your drive will have no padding, so you'll have to find a way to be sure the drive is not in free movement in there.

I'm not totally sure, but since SSD is faster, more reliable and more secure for your data (no moving part) it will become the standard in a few years, when it'll get enough storage and will be cheaper. The cheaper and the best way right now to get the benefices of SSD is to put your OS and your important apps on it, while letting the rest like your pictures, music, etc. on a HDD.