CalypsoCase Ring iPhone 5 case longevity?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fruitpunch.ben, Oct 19, 2012.

1. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

I am considering getting one of these cases for my iPhone 5. I like to use my phone naked, because it's so beautiful, but I'd like to keep it safe from scratches in my pocket and especially my wife's purse.
    I know a lot of people would go :eek: $130 for an iPhone case, but I figure I'm paying ~2500 for my iPhone & plan over the contract, so what's $130 for a beautiful looking case.
    However, before I pay $130 for a case I want to know that I'm going to get good use out of it. Has anyone bought one of these cases before? Can you tell me if it has lasted, or if it falls apart easily, if it gets too lose eventually for the iPhone, etc. Will this case stand up to daily use for 2+ years?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

ANYONE have experience with any Calypso case that can answer my question?
    Thanks!

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

First I've EVER heard of this case or the company and I am fairly obsessed with cases. Pretty sure you won't find much feedback on it here.

4. fruitpunch.ben, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Well a couple of people mentioned it in the walletcases/leather/pouches/sleeves thread that they have bought one, so they are around. Perhaps I should post this in there

EDIT: since you're fairly obsessed with cases, perhaps you could point me towards a different premium pouch style case for my iPhone? I've seen vaja cases, but they seem to be a bit weirdly coloured. I'm looking for something a bit more professional looking.
    Thanks!

5. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I agree, Calypso Case seems to great to me too!

Gadgetmac has a review here.

Hope this will give you come insight on the iPhone 5 version.

6. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Yeah thanks. I've seen the gadgetmac review. They've actually reviewed the iPhone 5 version and love it just as much. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me anything about how well the case stands up under heavy use. That's what I'm most concerned about, and unfortunately the company doesn't have any sort of warranty listed on their website...

7. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Was considering this for a while then decided against it cos it's still a hard case and I would prefer something more flexible. Went with the Hard Graft case. Somewhere in the DHL warehouse right now. Should receive it by afternoon. Would do a short first impressions review kinda thing here. Keep a lookout for it :D

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/leatherphonecase-allgrey

8. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Sweet I'll look forward to it.
    You're not the first person that has suggested Hard Graft as an alternative to Calypso, but I don't think I like how it looks

9. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I never even saw that :D my bad!

oh wow! That is a really good point tho! I have not seen a warranty either! I bet they would be able to answer a question if you email them and even if that does not work, ask Gadgetmac what he thinks about the build quality/longevity the case could provide. I am interested to know!

10. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

They emailed me back. I asked them if they have any sort of warranty, what they would do if my case didn't hold up over time. I also mentioned that I'd read a review saying that the leather case had stretched so much it became too loose and the iPhone would fall out. This is their reply:

So it sounds pretty good. I've also been on their facebook page and they are very responsive, and seem to be a small business that is eager to please. I don't think I have any problems ordering from them. I'm just going to wait till Black Friday to see if they have any sales

11. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

That's a good idea, when you get it, throw some pictures on here! I would love to see them! I still cant decide if I want to buy one or not. but we will see!

Thanks for asking them that too!

12. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Ok, but it'll be a while. Ordering on Cyber Monday, it takes a few days to make, plus a little while to ship to Canada. I figure I'll hopefully get it by Christmas.

13. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Mine just arrived today. I can't vouch for it's longevity yet but it has exceeded all of my expectations by a lot. It's as nice as the phone it self and the quality and construction is perfect in every way. I don't think longevity will be an issue.