Camcorder advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SeVeN, Oct 7, 2007.

1. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

buying my girlfriend a camcorder for her birthday, want something decent maybe around the 300 to 400 price range. what do you guys suggest? must be digital

thanks

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No real suggestions except i would stay away from JVC camcorders as I, and from what ive read, many others have had problems with them.

3. mactogo macrumors newbie

i would defenately go for high def hard drive camcorder. they are little bit expensive but it worth it. I had panasonic mini dv camcorder and it was ok, never had any problems with it. Just go to best buy or circuit city and they usually recommend the best for your money.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

HDD hi-def don't really come in at $300-400 though....

I bought a cheap Panasonic NHGS 60 (I think that's the model) for AU$400 and it does the job really well for the money. Not outstanding and lacks a mic input, but for the money it's incredible value.

Edit: Having said that, i do seriously want a Sony HC7 hi-def but it's at least AU$1100 - even if bought from a US store that delivers internationally...

5. dooker777 macrumors member

Sanyo VPC C6 (or whatever the lastest model is VPC CG6 -- I think it does H.264!). SD memory cards (no tapes!), mpeg 4, compatible with iPhoto, fits in a pocket. 1gb = 42 mins.

The downside is video quality. It won't be as good as a larger camcorder. But since you have it with you more often, you actually use it. I know lots of people with video cameras that just sit in a closet or drawer. The video quality is still good enough for nice looking DVDs, if you go iMovie -> iDVD.

6. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok so the MiniDV ones use the small tapes right? but how would i get it onto my computer? is a HDD one better for that?

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Yes, miniDV is the ones with the small tapes. You would get it on your computer through a firewire cord. Just plug it in using the firewire cable, your computer should recognize it, and import it. :)

8. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a