Camcorder Buying Advice (Where to Buy?)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kwong2006, Nov 19, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I have settled on buying a Canon HV20 Hi-Def camcorder, but I want to know if this place that is offering it for $800 is legit. It's called Newegg.com. Their BBB report checks out.

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

BBB is a pointless consumer excercise. A far better choice is resellerratings.com.

NewEgg, however, is well-known around electronics circles as being a top quality online reseller with good prices, good customer service, and very, very reliable. I've bought tens of thousands of dollars in computer equipment and electronics from them over the years and consider them absolutely top-notch. You are right to be suspicious of online electronics resellers, but I sure wouldn't worry about buying from NewEgg.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

It would be... except they are selling the HV20 for $100 more!

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

B&H Photo is also extremely reliable with excellent customer service - I've bought a lot of camera equipment there. The biggest difference between them and NewEgg is that B&H is mostly a photography reseller that happens to sell some non-photo electronics, whereas NewEgg is an electronics store that happens to sell some cameras. Nevertheless, I would have no qualms about saving the $100 and buying a video camera from NewEgg.