Camcorder for indoor theater

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by masterjedi73, May 5, 2012.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I've had a variety of cheap camcorders and none of them have worked well for indoor theater - high school musicals etc.

Without spending thousands, which cameras do you recommend?

Thanks.

2. floh macrumors 6502

So if not thousands (understandable), how much do you want to spend? That helps a long way here in the forums.

I tried the "Canon HF G10" and found it to be pretty acceptable in low light. It is still at about $1250 though right now.

If you want very good low light capabilities at acceptable prices (that is a problem...), it might be worth looking into the DSLR section. A general, still applicable rule is: The bigger the sensor, the better the low light performance. And those DSLRs have very big sensors, compared to camcorders. I have never tried it myself but have heard good things about the "Panasonic Lumix GH2". It goes for about $750, but if you add a decent lens to that, you might also crack the $1000.

I did use some cheaper camcorders indoors for stages, but none of them really convinced me: Either lots of noise, very dark picture or terrible autofocus. Or all three of those. If you want to stay well below $1000, I would try to look into older model camcorders from 1 or 2 years back. The technology in low light has not advanced that fast in the last 2 years and you might find an interesting offer.

3. joedemax macrumors newbie

4. musique macrumors regular

musique

Sound?

Without going on at length about it, I'll just state two well-known sayings: (1) sound is at least 50% of video and (2) capturing sound on stage is not easy.

You may want to include in your budget microphones, a mixer, and, if you're going to use a DSLR, an external sound recording device.

Good luck with your camcorder pick.