Camcorder for news website

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Scrimpy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Scrimpy macrumors newbie

Scrimpy

I occasionally shoot videos for our newspaper website, and we're looking to upgrade to an HD camcorder. From experience, I would like one that has the following features: good stabilization even when zooming in on a faraway subject, the ability to focus on audio coming from the subject so that ambient sounds are kept to a minimum, still pictures that are good enough to be used in print, and long battery life.

Could someone recommend a brand that does these things? Any other thoughts would also be appreciated.

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

What's your budget?

As far as sound goes you'll need a shotgun microphone because no internal microphone will be able to do that kind of quality audio you're looking for. Do you wish to shoot to tape or to SD cards?

3. Scrimpy thread starter macrumors newbie

Scrimpy

I'm hoping to get away with $500. An SD card should be fine since the videos are usually quite short. I've heard of camcorders that "focus" on the audio coming from whatever the camera is focused on visually. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand — might have been Panasonic.