Camcorder for PPC mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gary huston, Dec 31, 2008.

1. gary huston macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been covered before, I have read most of the posts but am still confused.

I want a reasonable camcorder to replace my jvc mini dv which records digitally but only has analogue out and I can't get it to the mac without putting it on dvd via a dvd recorder, then transferring to the mac then encoding to quick time....time consuming and not very reliable!!

I was looking at the Sony DCR-SR210E but have read that I would need an intel system to download the video for editing.

Also I have quite a few mini dv tapes already so can anyone recommend either a Mini DV or HDD camera that will download easily to the mac for basic editing.

I'm not fussed about going HD

I have a G5 PPC mac 2.3 with 4.5 gig ram OS 10.5.6

I also have FCE 4.0

imovie 8

Thanks in advance....

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Which JVC camcorder do you have?

If you're looking for a good camera, try to find a used Panasonic DVX-100.

-DH

3. gary huston thread starter macrumors newbie

At present I have an old JVC GR DVX

I didn't want to go for something quite as big and expensive as the Panasonic.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your G5 cannot be expected to handle high-definition video, but lesser Macs have been used to edit an awful lot of standard definition digital video--even in commercial cinematic and videographic productions. Buy a mini DV camcorder with FireWire. If you like your current JVC, then you will probably like a new JVC. Check out the JVC GR-D870. For video, I am more of a Canon man. Canon works with Macs out-of-the-box with no additional software. In your situaion, I would go with the Canon ZR950. Both the JVC and Canon have FireWire ports, but are a bit coy about this fact. Neither include FireWire cables in their kits forcing the user to buy optional cables and adapters. Also, JVC calls its FireWire port DV for digital video.

Just to be sure, make sure that your current camcorder does not have FireWire. If it does, then you will save several $100.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

WHAT? My old 2.0ghz G5 handles HD without issue and has for several years now. What it won't handle is AVCHD (in FCP), unless I convert it to an editable format first.

-DH

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Thanks for clearing up my misconception. The OP has a faster system than yours. Perhaps, he should consider graduating from miniDV to HDV. Afterall, standard definition video will be yesterday's news after February 17, 2009.

7. gary huston thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys, I was looking around and the Canon Vixia HV30 seems to be quite popular. It is an HD miniDV but do you get the option to use it in SD?
    If so this would be quite handy for future use.

8. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Yes. It will output standard defintion upon playback if you want.

9. -DH macrumors 65816

Standard definition won't be dead for quite a while. There is NO cut-off of standard definition TV or video. The changeover is from ANALOG broadcasting to DIGITAL broadcasting ... well they're both being simulcast right now and after February 17, analog broadcast will cease except for LPTV stations which will still broadcast in analog.

A digital broadcast can be SD or HD or a combination of the two. The DTV changeover has NO requirement for everything to be HD.

-DH

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

There is a reason is it popular, it is probably the best HD camcorder you can get for under $2000US. :)
    Yeah, I was able to edit on a 1.33Ghz iBook. It took a while to import/export the video, but when it was on the computer, it wasn't that bad.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

My G5 (same specs as -DH, 8GB RAM) handles HDV (I use Apple ProRes 422) and I even work in After Effects and Motion with HD (1080p)! There is some lag once and a while and it's really slow with RAM Previews but I get what I want with it. I usually to After Effect and Motion stuff on my MBP but I get by on the PPC G5.:)

12. xStep macrumors 68000

I wouldn't buy another Canon tape based camera. As far as I'm concerned there is something crappy about their mechanics and eventually you can't playback your tapes without them getting eaten by the camera. I base this on a small sample of 4. Mine, my youngest brothers two cameras, and the middle brother. At least 3 out of 4 have had this issue over several generations. All ZR models mind you. Maybe the higher end versions are better.

Except for the lens and switches, my next camera will have no moving parts.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nowhere did I say that standard definition would be dead. I said that it would be yesterday's news. Yesterday's New York Times is still readable today, tomorrow, or years from now. It is just not news.

Home recording is not about the present. It is about archiving the events in the lives of family and friends for the future. If you think that standard definition is what you want to look at in 5, 10, 20, or more years from now, then have at it. I was giving the OP a different option.

14. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

LCD hinge? Port covers?