Camcorder for youth events

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KJdanReuben, Aug 26, 2007.

1. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I am looking for a camcorder to film youth events. It needs to be compatible with FCE HD. I was looking at the Canon gl2, but it doesn't film 16:9. At least I didn't see anything that said it did, so someone please inform me if it does. I was also looking at the Sony HDR-FX1. Those have been the only two that I was really interested in, but I would like some imput from people that know more about it than me. I'm fairly new at this. I would be upgrading from a Canon Elura 100. Hi Def is not necessary, but would be nice. Also, size matters so noting over the shoulder. I also don't want one that is fully manual. Thanks for all your input!

EDIT: The GL2 does shoot 16:9. Sorry.

2. cwright macrumors 6502a

I have a GL2 and it's a great camera, but you should know that it doesn't shoot real 16:9. It crops the 4:3 image and then scales that to fill a 16:9 frame. So the actual recorded resolution of it's 16:9 mode is about half that of it's 4:3 mode, and even less than cameras that record true 16:9.

If I recall correctly, the Sony PD-170 is in a similar price range and shoots native 16:9, so you may want to look into that.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'm not sure if you're looking for a professional camera or not, but a great consumer HD camera is the Canon HV20. I bought mine on Amazon.com for $1,000 (I'm not sure how much the GL2 costs, but I'm sure it's around that range). I love my HV20 and the picture quality is stunning. It also has a 24p mode that records 24 frames per second to give the video a more cinematic "film-like" look.

Best,
    JOD8FY

4. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I will give both of those cameras a look. Thanks for the info about the GL2. It doesn't have to be professional. I would probably rather a consumer grade with the prof. look and feel.

5. techie4life macrumors 6502

Panasonic PV-GS320. Great camera. Wonderful video quality once burned to a DVD.

6. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular

The gs320 looks good, but Apple doesn't say that Final Cut Express HD supports it. Is it supported?

7. xfoo macrumors newbie

8. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the input. I really like the DVC30! I think that might be the closest along the lines of what I'm looking for.