Camcorder: HV10/20?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iToaster, Aug 25, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ok, so here's my dilemma, I'm looking for a camcorder to expand my amateur video making 'cause I can't take the iSight out of my MBP. I've narrowed it down between the canon HV10 and HV20. MY question for you guys is which would be the most bang for the buck and whatnot, I'm looking on eBay and HV10s are quite a bit less money than the HV20s. Just what am I missing? I really had my mind set on the HV20 until I discovered the firewire on the HV10, so they're equal in the eyes of me. Just gimme your thoughts on this issue. Thanks again guys.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

HV10 has a crappy tall design instead of the normal camcorder design..

I don't think it shoots 24p either.

Get the HV20.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

They're definitely not equal. The HV10 lacks an accessory shoe, loads tapes from the bottom, has a poor design/handling, and lacks a 24p mode (just to name a few coming off the top of my head). Another problem with the HV10 is that if you want to use a bigger battery, the camcorder will be very lopsided (because the battery compartment comes out the side).

They do both have firewire, but then again, I've never seen a digital camcorder that didn't have firewire (well, except for those new Panasonic AVCHD camcorders).

Here's a quote from CamcorderInfo.com comparing the HV10 to the HV20:

The HV10 is not just a pocket-sized HV20; it’s a missing some key features that put the HV20 in a separate class. For one, both camcorders have the same 1/27” CMOS sensor and Digic DVII processor, but the gain appears to have been boosted this year in low light, giving it an arguably better picture. The addition of the 24P mode gives the HV20 a huge advantage, more than doubling the sensitivity. That’s not the only major upgrade. The addition of a headphone jack and mic jack add another level of professionalism to the experience. And despite our complaints regarding the HV20’s slim zoom toggle, it’s still better than the HV10’s. For $100 more, you get a lot more with the HV20. It wouldn’t make sense to go for an HV10 unless you absolutely have to impress your friends by randomly pulling a camcorder out of your pocket and passing it around to gain points with everyone.

I went with the HV20 and couldn't be happier. I love mine!

As a side note, though, have you looked at the Panasonic AVCHD cameras? They have a slimmer design than the HV20 and also have 3CCDs, which is nice. The one Jobs used in his presentation sells for about $750, I think. Might be worth taking a look.

Hope that helps, and happy hunting!

Best,
    JOD8FY

4. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, ok, thanks. I'm definitely getting the HV20 now, I was leaning towards it (basically laying on it). Well, thanks again :)

5. GeorgeD macrumors member

HV20 for sure. I'm getting that camera probably my next months end at latest. check out this website, www.camcorderinfo.com :)

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

HV10 is good for traveling because it's smaller, but the HV20 is a slightly better camera with much better ergonomics.