Camcorder Panasonic Tm-700 0r Canon HDV40

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slabwax, Jun 23, 2010.

1. slabwax macrumors member

So I need some camcorder advice. This is my first new camcorder in almost 20 years, and yes things have changed. I've narrowed it down to two models, the
    Panasonic tm-700 or the Canon hdv-40. Very different I know. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic, but I have a few concerns.

1:The whole Mac compatibility thing. I'm trying to keep things simple! I keep reading about having to down load this wrapper and import to that wrapper. Is this only in the 60fps mode? I want plug and play. That said if a one step solution for editing was just around the corner i'd be ok as long As I can archive my files with little hassle. I will be traveling for a few weeks at a time and need some means of off loading the files for later importing.10 32gig cards is not an option. Panasonic does make a dvd burner that down loads straight from the camera. Cool!!, but it's not mac ready for dumping to an Apple computer.:confused: according to the very friendly but not that knowledgeable Panasonic tech support guy. Does any one know anything about this product. I can't find an owners manual on line. Help.

2: The Canon simple, it is an easy Apple solution. But it is larger, has moving parts, not 1080p on and on. BUT it comes with easy archive, and is a lot less money.

Does the Canon make more sense for the next year or so? I know the Tm-700 is better for low light which is very important to me. The size and lack of moving parts again goes to the Panasonic as does the i.Q. But it seems the Canon wins as far as ease of editing and archiving.

As far as editing computer goes. I currently own an old mac book. I'm getting a Imac as soon as the new update is available, and a new 13" MBP by the end of summer. I don't want to schlep my MB with me that's why I bought a Ipad.

Thanks for any insights
    Dean

2. jwheeler macrumors regular

Only the 60fps progressive (60p) setting cannot be directly imported on a mac. This is because panasonic uses their own brand of encoding thingy ma bob. If 24p or 60i is all you need then you'll be fine. I'd recommend the panasonic. But i can;t afford it. :(

Apple will be bound to release an update to fcp soon that allows direct import of 60p so hang tight. Either way looks like an amazing camcorder for that price!!!.

See here for more. I found this website very helpful. If only they could give you money too :(
    http://www.camcorderinfo.co.uk/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM700-Camcorder-Review-37681.htm

edit:
    that canon is over a year old and doesn't have the manual control ring. No 1080p. Meh, don't even touch with a barge pole if yur considering a tm700

3. slabwax thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply and input.
    I'd like to record at 60fps. Is there a way to record at that rate save those files and down convert to 60i or 30p? Is that where all the wrapper programs come in?

Do you know anything about the DVD burner?

Thanks again
    Dean

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

canon +1

Ihave the canon hv30 and I LOVE it.

the HV40 has bypased the 60i to 24p wrapper and gone right to 24p.

I bought a 3rd party battery off ebay for 30 bucks and now get a day of shooting off of it. I love tape as i will ALWAYS have a back up. It's light and there are entire forums dedicated to it.

5. jwheeler macrumors regular

That would be where the wrapper comes in.

The advise i was given (on a thread lower down the list) was that 24p should be used for the film look, and 60i should be used for things that look live, like the news or sports. So i will be film our sketch show, and band music video in 24p.

If I had the TM700, I would only record in 60p when I plan to slow the scene down. It seems like a waste of expensive flash memory space to record frames that your not going to keep.

However I believe "matteusclement" is right that the TM700 records in 60i for all non 60p settings, but converts them on the fly, eg to 24p). I can't say I know whether HV40 actualy does record natively in 24p.

I'd still go for the TM700 if it were me.

edit: After re-reading that review I linked to, I realised it says it does 50p not 60p as yur first post says. But still good for slow mo filming.

edit2:heres the review again, and the canon
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM700-Camcorder-Review-37681.htm
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HV40-Camcorder-Review-37194.htm
    they actually compare the canon to the tm300 (last years version of the tm700). but they much prefer the tm300, so that must mean the tm700 blows it out the water.