Camcorder recommendation? Works with iMovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bickley, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Bickley macrumors newbie

Just soliciting a recommendation for a decent (ie not too expensive but not a piece of crap, either) camcorder that will suffice for basic home video, as well as capturing some surfing video.

First I'll be using the camcorder to put together a video resumé for a job i'm seeking, but long term it'll be used to record random home video and the occasional surf shot.

I assume HD is something we'd want.
    And I assume this can be viewed and edited in iMovie?

Can anyone recommend a brand or model? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

what is your budget? & please specify the specifications of the computer that you are planning to import, edit the footage from your camcorder.

3. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

4. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry...I could've been more explicit

The computer on which this footage would be edited is the new (Nov '08) aluminum 13" MacBook, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo with 2 GB RAM. Probably use iMovie if that software is appropriate for editing video. Running SnowLeopard, too.

Budget is about $500.

Some of those pocket-sized, non-zoom-capable handhelds like the FLIP or Kodak Zi8 are attractive from a portability standpoint and ease of use, but I think that 10x optical zoom would be helpful. As would a reasonable amount of storage, decent battery life, quality HD resolution, and clear audio.

Thanks for any suggestions, or thoughts based on your experience.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

The two big issues with pocket camcorders are 1) lack of adequate zoom, and 2) no image stabilization. If you are going to be shooting surfing videos, even amateur ones, then you are definitely going to want a good optical zoom range.

I have a Canon HG20 and I love it. Basically, the camcorders in the VIXIA line are all pretty much equivalent, with the differences being in storage medium (tape, flash, or hard drive) and in a few minor details (the HG21, for example, has a bigger drive and a viewfinder).

6. giffut macrumors 6502

I ...

... would choose one of the Canon HG/HF SDHC flash media based HD cameras. Check for deals on refurbished ones, special offers, or buy used second hand.

7. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

8. spice weasel macrumors 65816

The HF20 is a nice camera. It's got a bigger sensor than my HG20 and uses the DIGIC DV III chip. Low-light results should be better than the HG20. Plus, it's got slightly better optical zoom. It's over your $500 budget, but I say it's worth it.

9. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone have any experience with JVC ?

Found the JVC Everio GZ-HM200, considerably cheaper than the Canon Vixia HF20 or HF200. Thoughts?

10. Bickley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you, Raging Demon....

...but the Panasonic is about 5 times what I'm willing to spend. Look nice, though.