Camcorder Suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrock2004, Sep 26, 2008.

1. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Well was looking at buying a camcorder and was intrested in thoughts with the newer technology.

Budget Under $600.00 USD

I was thinking firewire since I am a mac user but not sure. I was also think one of the HD ones as well.

Thoughts......

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

Your question might get better response by posting under Digital Video topic.

There's also similar thread called Help needed deciding on a camcorder.

Just to summarize, be more specific about your needs. The trend is high definition, and there are two camps: those hanging onto aging-but-proven-and-mature HDV format (uses MiniDV tapes) and those banking on next-generation-but-still-immature AVCHD (uses memory card, hard disk, or DVD).

For HDV, Canon VIXIA HV30 (about $750) is an overwhelming favorite. It is used by many amateur and semi-pro filmmakers even. You will want to use FireWire for HDV importing.

For AVCHD, two popular SDHC-based offerings are Canon VIXIA HF100 (about $620) and Panasonic HDC-SD9 (about $500). SD9 has received decided lukewarm review for subpar video performance, but it is the cheapest AVCHD camcorder on the market. HF100 received generally excellent reviews for video performance, and is perhaps the best performing and cheapest HD camcorder on the market.

I wouldn't bother with DVD-based AVCHD camcorders. For hard disk, Sony HDR-SR11 ($910) is a popular around here, but it is out of your budget range.

You will use USB for flash memory and hard disk-based AVCHD importing (and for memory card, you can use memory card reader even).

When importing HD footage (HDV and AVCHD) to iMovie, iMovie converts to Apple Intermediate Codec, which takes a lot more space. Final Cut can edit HDV natively, saving space and reducing any transcoding quality degradation.

4. jrock2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the help guys and gals. I wish I could afford final cut studio. I am getting the camcorder based off we are starting a family so we want to make family videos. So I guess the HD quality is going extreme :)

5. vermonter16 macrumors regular

Ok - I'm going to check out the camcorders listed though I didn't want to spend a heck of a lot. I just ordered a brand new imac for my husband and I along with two ipods... That is supposed to be our Christmas gift...now we are allowed one more gift for each. However, I just bought him a brand new grill (hope it's a good gift - he's been wanting a new one)... And the camcorder completely blows the budget...

But, we shoot mini movies with his digital camera and the quality is....ok... I was thinking of a reasonably priced camcorder that will work well with imovie... Still the same suggestions above or any different ones? We don't need super quality but I don't want a piece of crap either. And if $200 seperates crappy to really good...I'll spend the extra that I don't have :)

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

there's only one camcorder to get..the Canon Vixia HF10

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNVHF10&omid=106&ref=cag

Just stretching budget a little bit. But the camera is awesome. As good as teh HV30, which was taped base and unbelievable quality. When I buy a new camcorder, if it's not a cheap flip mino, then it's the canon vixia hf10

7. raxafarian macrumors regular

I'd recommend the HF100 over the HF10.

Amazon has it for 529.00. If you want to use microsoft's live.com cashback you can find it for 570 minus the 30% cashback.

The only difference is the hf10 has built in memory and that means you'll have to use the camera to transfer. Get the hf100 and 16gb class 6 transcend cards are 30.00 with a usb reader. Now you don't have to use the battery of the camera while copying to computer.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

good point, different colors too. The HF100 is silver only I think, the HF10 is black only.