Camcorder that works with Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chelsealuvsnina, Feb 28, 2008.

1. chelsealuvsnina macrumors newbie

chelsealuvsnina

Hi,
    I am a film student at UCSB and am looking to invest in a camcorder for some small video projects, web casts, just to get a some practice editing. I am planning on getting a professional unit in a couple years before I head out to grad school.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking to not spend more than $400... HD is not a priority because I can't afford it but I am looking for something with good picture and sound quality and something that will transfer on to my Final Cut express with no problem....
    Thanks!:apple:

I have a Macbook running Leopard.

2. chelsealuvsnina thread starter macrumors newbie

chelsealuvsnina

Come on

no one helped me out here. But my budget has increased to about $600 any ideas now???

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Pretty much an miniDV camera will do. They run $200-500 for the basic models. At $600, you are getting pretty close to the price of the Canon HV20 which is a great camera. I would suggest saving a few more bucks until you can afford that.

Cut back on the Freebirds perhaps? mmmm Freebirds

4. chelsealuvsnina thread starter macrumors newbie

chelsealuvsnina

LOL. I would be offended if it weren't the truth, very pricey but oh so tasty! I could probably spring a little more. I am researching and there are some tricky little sites who are willing to sell the camera for cheap but it doesnt come with anything! If you see any amazing deals send them my way. Thanks!!!:D

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

watch out for those stores... most of them are scams.

be sure to check resellerratings.com before you do anything with an online retailer.

6. chelsealuvsnina thread starter macrumors newbie

chelsealuvsnina

7. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

www.resellerratings.com is a good place to check reviews and find out about the reputation of many stores. There are definitely a few black sheep out there, unfortunately.

- Martin

8. leumluath macrumors member

9. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I have just bought the Canon HV20 and am very very pleased with it. There is a forum dedicated to the HV20

10. netherfred macrumors member

Panasonic NV-GS320, or whatever its called stateside. 3CCD, DV tapes (cheap archiving!) and optical stabilizer. My friend just bought one for €400, which would mean it's about $400 in the US. Personally I've got the older model sans stabilizer but with mic input and headphone output, GS180 if I remember correctly.

Edit: it's called the PV-GS320 in the US and amazon has it for $340...

P.S. the manual on internet shows on the cover page Dutch windmills! ;-)