Camcorder to film snowboarding

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheEpicFilmCo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Hello.
    I realize that I have recently posted a lot of threads about this, but this is a different question so here goes.
    I will be going snowboarding in April and I want to take some video with a camcorder. It will be my first time snowboarding and I'll proberly fall over quite a lot. :D For this reason I need a waterproof camcorder.
    I want it to be small enough to go in a pocket and be strong enough so it won't break when I fall on it.
    I cannot spend over £300 ($420)
    The camcoders I have looked at so far are...
    The Sanyo VPC-E2 and the The Panasonic SDR-SW20
    The reason I am looking at waterproof camcorders instead of a camcorder in a waterproof housing is that I don't want anything big and bulky.
    If you can help me choose between the two camcorders I have looked at or recommend something else to me, I would be very pleased.
    Thanks a lot.

2. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

Hey man, I just recently returned from a snowboarding trip. I went with the Canon HV30, although its not waterproof, I never had a problem with snow getting on it and anything happening. Thats even with falling in some powder and the cam being completely under the snow. Just another option for you. I picked one up off a lady on ebay for $500 cause she said it was to hard for her to learn so she just wanted to get rid of it. Camera was still brand new not even hardly touched. So check around and you'll find some good deals.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what about a sony webbie... seems small and is 'cheap' incase it should break
    link

4. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

The Sony Webbie looks nice. Do you reckon it has better video quality than the Panasonic SDR-SW20?

5. hum97 macrumors newbie

No Image Stabilization on the Webbie

I've just been doing some research on the Sony Webbie and nearly all of the reviews on Amazon say that there is no image stabilization, that you have to hold very still or use a tripod to get a smooth image, so it might not be the best camera for snowboarding action shots... :)

6. JamesDV macrumors newbie

If you're really serious about it, get a 3ccd camcorder, the output of it speaks for itself The coloring is simply amazing! I'm not sure what you'll find in the way of waterproof 3ccd camcorders, it's not essential (especially now fcp and fce have such good color correcting tools) but I have found it very very useful. The same goes for HD, also if you have the choice 5MP camcorder is better than 720p and 7-8MP is much better that 1080p however if you want to play your vids on a large HD screen DEFINITELY get 1080p.
    These will increase the price of your camcorder but it's hugely worth it as a small investment.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have no idea. The sony says it does 1080p. All i know is that its small and "cheap" and comes in some fun colors. :rolleyes:
    I didn't know it didn't have image stabilization that could be a problem. Looking back i don't know if its water resistant...
    Have you played any of them in the store.

8. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

a couple of my friends record them and their groups snowboarding...
    none of them have a waterproof camcorder...and one of them (lets call him tommy), wipes out every 3 minutes.

tommy actually just started to snowboard and decided to record all his time on the snow with his camcorder. he used a flip mino, and im sure he would have gotten the hd is it were available at the time.

i myself have been looking for a mini camcorder like these for a while.
    the sony webbie is new to me, and so far im very interested.
    hopefully they will have these models at the sony style store out in my close by mall. i would love to see it up close.

keep in touch and let us know which unit you will end up getting and why!

now a very important question...can the sony webbie (.mp4 video) be used in imovie?

9. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have a Canon 860is currently and that can take okay video. I'm thinking about buying a waterproof case for that instead of buying a new camera. That said, the Flip HD looks good and I think with the new image stabilization feature in iMovie 09' it could make some pretty decent footage. Should I go with the Flip HD?

10. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

the mino HD? looks like a good unit...but what makes you turn away from that sony webbie when its cheaper and has more features?

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

12. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Because the Sony Webbie isn't out yet in the UK. Do you reckon it will become available before April? :rolleyes:

13. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. I have been looking around at some other small HD camcorders like the Flip HD. I'm not getting the Flip HD anymore because it can only record 60 mins of footage onto it's internal 2Gb of memory.
    So now I'm stuck between
    The Creative Vado HD
    and the
    Kodak Zi6

14. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I'm set on the kodak Zi6. Please tell me if it is a good choice before I go out and buy it.

15. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hey I ve just bought the Oregon ATC3K... Not the same kind of quality but so robust... I will record everything with a 2 hours memory card in 640*480...

I will then mix this all together with my Sony HD pictures from outside the slopes...

I prefer not to take any risk as well with my stuff on the slopes as I am quite a risk taker :-D