Camcorder vs iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gala, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Gala macrumors regular

Wife wants a small camcorder to film our kids. Bdays, vacas ect. She is up for a new phone and really is in need of one. She wants to spend $300-400 at Sam's for a small one but I brought up, why not just a new phone.

How does the iPhone 5's video recording stack up against small camcorders?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its really great. I bought a new camcorder and barely ever use it. Yes, the zoom is better and the sound/video is probably better but I don't see such a big different. I just whip out my phone and use that and put the videos right into iPhoto when I sync. I barely have any of the camcorder video on my mac, just such a pain in the butt in comparison.

3. ImanIphone macrumors newbie

I'd say image quality ranks right up there with some basic 1080p cameras. I own a Sony HD 1080p camcorder and when I'm filming Christmas, birthday's or whatever I always choose the camcorder over the phone. #1 camcorders are virtually pocket sized these days and #2 the zoom function is much needed. Also, like the above posted said, most of the camcorders also film in Dolby digital 5.1 or some other format which our phones cannot do. I tell you though if the iPhone had a nice zoom feature I'd be hard pressed to not use it more than my camcorder.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

the phone is great for everyday non-sense. for capturing you family's most treasured moments, i always grab the video cam. as mentioned, the zoom is much easier and better. the sound is superior. and i personally like to shoot from a tripod with a grip.

5. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I shot all of my marching bands competitions this season with the iPhone five mounted on a tripod. Looks pretty good, and it's much more convenient thing bringing equipment around.

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

IDK, the sound quality and the microphone on the iPhone 5 is incredibly good. It can pick up sounds from afar and its crystal clear.