Camcorder Without Firewire

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by b1u3b0y, Nov 4, 2008.

1. b1u3b0y Guest

Hello,

I've been searching for a good price camcorder that isn't top of the line, but a decent one that is good for normal random use. I can't seem to find any with firewire though and wasn't sure if it is possible to transfer video to my computer through usb...especially for imovie 6... Thanks for any help that can be offered..

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

SD or HD?

if you want something simple you could check out the flip mino

3. b1u3b0y thread starter Guest

SD is fine i'm not looking for anything amazing...but I looked at the flip mino and would rather have an actual camcorder.. something a little better then the mino.. I'm leaning towards a canon make, but stumped with this fire wire issue..!

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you're looking for Firewire, you need to look at miniDV or HDV camcorders. Unfortuneatley, tape based camcorders are a dying breed ... moreso for miniDV.

Hardly any miniDV camcorders coming out these days. If you don't mind buying used, the Canon Elura 100 was one of the top miniDV units from 2006. Canon dropped both the Optura and Elura lines and have really cut the ZR line.

ft

5. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Just because it doesn't use firewire to transfer video, doesn't mean it won't work with iMovie. Are you looking for a DV camera or a tapeless camera?
    if it's not a DV, you should be able to transfer the video over USB to iMovie just fine.

6. b1u3b0y thread starter Guest

Oh okay well in that case would a flash camcorder be a good choice? I don't wanna spend the money on a hdd one and I was thinking mini DVD was the only way to go...but if a flash one would be good and still give me quality videos that would be great!

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Ya a flash camera would work just fine, I use one. I would stay away from dvd based camcorders because the video cannot be edit.

8. b1u3b0y thread starter Guest

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Also if you move up to iMovie 08, it will edit AVHCD video from HD cameras. (Via USB)

10. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

actually I'm not sure what format canon's FS series output to.(assuming that's what you were looking at) but I'm pretty sure they will work with iMovie considering even video taken from a point and shoot camera work with iMovie.

Actually here's a link to all of iMovie's supported cameras

For iMovie 08'