Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nefan65, Oct 14, 2009.

1. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I searched around the web, and here, and didn't find what I was looking for, so hopefully someone here can help...

I am interested in getting into some Video recording. Nothing high end, mostly a hobby. I have a decent still camera, but looking for a low end to mid Camcorder that will work well with both Mac and iMovie 08/09. I've checked out some of the sites, like Sony, and the reviews all state doesn't work well with Mac, or similar. Does anyone have suggestions on a low end to mid camcorder? I'd prefer to use one that has flash vs. DVD, or Mini DVD...

Thanks in advance!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

When you have an imac or mac mini or macbook (pro) I think you don't want to have mini DVD. You probably won't be able to get it out of your mac normally (with a knife, yes, but do you really want to do that).

I assume you want HD. You can go for flash or mini-dv. But you already stated flash.

If I'm right almost any camcorder that has AVCHD should work with iMovie. iMovie won't edit AVCHD, it will convert it into AIC (a lot bigger, so prepare yourself seeing your hard drive being filled very fast) which is a lot easier for iMovie and your mac to edit. I believe sony's camcorder should just work. Some people are very enthusiastic about the canon's.

3. nefan65 thread starter macrumors 65816

nefan65

Thanks! I planned on getting an external drive to store the movies on. So initially, I realize my HDD will fill up, but I plan on moving them over the external drive when I'm done editing.

Thanks again; I'll take a look at the HD Sony's.

4. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Just purchased a JVC GZ-HD40 it will be here Friday.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573846-REG/JVC_GZ_HD40US_GZ_HD40_Everio_High_Definition.html

Reasons for the Purchase:

HD with 1/3 CMOS Imager
    120GB Internal Drive - 15 Hours AVCHD XP Mode - 10 Hours MPEG2 HD
    Microphone Input
    Headphone Output
    Shoe Mount
    Video Light
    HDMI/USB/AV Connections
    43mm Threaded lens for wide angle and tele's
    10x Optical
    Compatible with iMovie and Final Cut Pro
    Dock with Firewire

The option to add-on accessories such as lenses, microphones and with the ability to monitor audio. Also there are a host of manual controls to fine tune the image of the camera.

Priced at just under $549

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You should use an external firewire drive for editing as well. Import your clips to this scratch drive and then do your editing. Your laptop drive will thank you later.

6. nefan65 thread starter macrumors 65816

nefan65

Excellent! Thanks! I'll take a look at that one...