Camcorders that are Mac friendly?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KeithnFW, Mar 16, 2009.

1. KeithnFW macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any suggestions about a good Camcorder that works well with Macs. thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depends on the software you want to use - iMovie, Final Cut Express, others?
    As they do the capturing it is up to the software to have drivers for the camera to remotely control it.

Also, what kind of video standard do you have in mind?
    Standard Definition (PAL or NTSC - the 50 years old television standards used around the world) via miniDV, or High Definition (720p, 1080i/p - the new "standards" emerging in the prospering western world with better picture quality) via HDV or some non-tape based storage?

As there are many needs and many cameras, it is not that easy to just recommend one without knowing what you want to do with the camera, and what kind you wanna buy....

3. KeithnFW thread starter macrumors newbie

Would be shooting SD. And I have Final Cut Express.

4. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

I use a JVC GZ-MS100 EverioS.
    Kinda similar to DVD quality though it sometimes can take a little split second to refocus after using zoom. It's a little grainy/ISO indoors also but outdoors is awesome. Overall it's a great buy and i love it. I use iMovie '09 and also Toast too.

About 140 pounds from Amazon UK :)

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Pretty much anything with a firewire port is compatible and can be controlled via software via OSX.

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Unless you have an alu MacBook.

7. SimD macrumors regular

In the SD world, so long you have a FireWire port any camera will work EXCEPT* DVD camcorders.

* I really mean it, stay clear of them. Think of them as a can of anthrax.. really..

8. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

9. goramsey macrumors newbie

Canon HV30

I purchased a Canon HV30 late last year and have been shooting ever since. I love it. Works great with my 3.5 yr old iMac 2GHz 20 inch model. I use a G-Drive external 500 G. You can shoot in Standard of High Def. Crispy critter. The video that is. Firewire connection to capture. Edit in Final Cut Express. Since I have been a commercial still shooter for 30+ years, it was no problem learning the Final Cut Express software.

Hope this helps,

Gary

10. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj