CAmera access from lock screen drains battery

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Taylortwocities, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Taylortwocities macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new around here, so please be gentle. Cant see this covered before.

So. From the lock screen on my iPhone 4. Swipe up on the camera to get the instant access and take a photo.

Put the iPhone back in my pocket - after an hour or so the battery has completely drained. Although my iPhone has the autolock setting as 1 minute it seems that when you access camera from the lock screen, the autolock timer is not enabled.

I have to remember to hit the power or the home button to stop the camera eating my battery.:mad:

Any suggestions, or is this a "feature"??

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It doesn't automatically lock because you're using the camera. How would it know that you're done using the camera? It would lock on you and you'd be frustrated that it locked while you were trying to take pictures.

Just remember to lock it after you're done..

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

You've told the phone you want to use the camera and then just put it in your pocket? Do you do the same with the flash light?

Solution: Just hit the home button before putting your phone in your pocket.

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

You wake the baby, you have to put the baby to sleep.

5. Taylortwocities thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys and gals, thanks for the input but after a bit more investigations here's what I've got.

The Camera has a built in inactivity timer, this seems to be about 5 minutes, but I cannot find anything in settings so its probably fixed. So, launch Camera as normal. Leave it for 5 minutes and the app times out, the screen dims as normal and all is well - the battery lives on!

BUT if you do the same - but launch the Camera from the lock screen - then there is no inactivity timer, the app stays open and the battery is dead soon.

Care to try it out, got any constructive advice, or should I just raise it as an issue with Apple?

6. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Issue? What issue? That you are too lazy to hit the home or sleep button?

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm not understanding something.. You've been given the answer to your question, but can't be asked to exit the camera (in one way or another) to fix your battery.

:confused:

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I agree this is quite a fringe case which in most cases could be avoided, but, if he's saying there is an inactivity timeout on the camera launched from the springboard and there isn't when launched from the lockscreen, I would consider that a bug and worth raising with Apple.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, if that's the case, it seems like a bug, unless there is some good explanation that comes with it. That said, locking your phone back after using the camera is fairly constructive advice (as requested by the OP) too in a case like this.

10. Taylortwocities thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I know my habits are annoying, my wife tells me all the time.
    I'll try and remember, but sometimes one doesn't. Its an age thing,

I'll tweak Apple's tail. It'll probably be fixed in IOS 14.6:D

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

There's nothing to fix.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Of course you need to close the camera before you put it in your pocket! I'm never surprised at some peoples actions.....clearly this is common sense! There's nothing to fix here, just someone's logic...

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well if the camera does time out after a bit and dims/locks the screen when you use it when the phone is unlocked, then it would seem it should work that way when the phone is locked too (and if it's not, it would seem like that's a bug).