Camera advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to upgrade my video camera but not sure which route to go. I do not want to go over 2,000 and less would be great! I'm not looking for to much so my spending cap may be to high.
    Looking for simple conversion to FC, 1080i ( if possible), good mic, hook ups for wireless mic, nice color, and not to big, for I like to shoot on the go and not carry to much stuff. I'm not full on pro user, hobby/pro, at least at the moment, which is why I am looking for a camera that can do pro if needed, just not high end ( budget is a pain at the moment with getting a new Mac Pro). I'm not going to shoot commercials or anything like that. Mainly sporting events, and weddings, a lot of on the go video. I'm mainly an editor and still using an DVC camera, of course that's almost all hobby. But it's time to turn up the notch for I love shooting on the go video, and really want a nice HD camera.
    Also are there any affordable cameras to lease? I know some pros that lease their cameras but the camera used was to expensive for me to lease. Not sure which companies have good leasing prices.
    Thanks for any info, I tried to keep it short so I'm sure I left some things out. But that's my main use at the moment and I don't want to get in to deep with a camera price.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hey i know very little about video cameras knore do i intend to elarn much about it but i have a pretty sick camera, it shoots 1080p 30 fps - 720 p 60 fps and its a helmet cam =D haha it gives you some of the most amazing perspectives EVER, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-C-Taylor/10150090452380377?v=app_2392950137&ref=mf you can get a tripod attachment, chest harness, helmet mounts, handle bar mounts, it just mixes up what you shoot, it is water proof upto 180 feet so you can take it swimming,

its the Go Pro HD helmet hero

http://www.goprocamera.com/

and its worth about $300, this cam will impress any video watcher =D

3. jwheeler macrumors regular

Panasonic TM700 + Spare batteries, filters, perhaps a depth of field adaptor?

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Don't forget the audio. It is at least as important as your video. Maybe more. People may get annoyed if the video isn't razor sharp and high contrast with rich colours, but they will crucify you* if they can't hear anything, or there's a buzz over everything, or if you get a whole lot of extraneous noise.

If you are shooting just for fun, ignore what I've said but if you are serious about getting serious, ignore it at your peril. Three letters: XLR.

Oh, and get a good tripod. Not one of those cheap light things. They'll bounce around in the breeze and transmit all surface vibrations.

(*and the bride will be first in line, followed by her mother)