Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2Cheap2Switch, Dec 10, 2011.

1. 2Cheap2Switch macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new camera that would be used for small documentary projects on the side. In school I'm a CS major but was very fortunate to have the opportunity to take a documentary filmmaking course last spring and it really inspired me to continue making films in some way or another. Here is a link to my final project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWt-WzAjbLE.

I'd like to make things with similar video quality, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for as the class I took was more about getting out there and making films rather than focusing on the super technical details of equipment. For a camera my budget is around $2000. Thanks!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You got your audio equipment together already?
    Count at least 500-700 bucks for a decent mic, boompole, recorder,.... For the rest of the money you'll be stuck with a topline consumer cam with all its disadvantages.

3. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

I have $2000 exclusively for the camera. I can save a little extra if needed. A few friends have audio equipment that they said they'd lend me.

4. berndkiltz macrumors member

If you can spend just a little more, the Canon XF100 will be the best to get. It's the least expensive Pro-Cam and really decent. If not, get the XA10 by Canon.

They both have XLR Microphone inputs which will help a GREAT deal when doing interviews and stuff.

I have a Sony AX2000 which I'm very satisfied with, but thats a little out of your budget it seems (payd 3500 Euros). And maybe a little too heavy to carry around too. But incedible Picture Quality even on Automatic.

Good luck with your filmmaking!